How do I unlock 4wd stuck in 4low

Asked by Nov 19, 2014 at 02:55 AM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

My 4 wheel drive is stuck in 4 low

36,795

Drive in reverse as you switch back to 4Wheel high.

21,670

If that doesn't work, try starting the truck put the transmission gear selector in neuteral. Then put the 4x4 switch/button into 4 low for a few seconds. Now put the 4x4 switch into 4 hi and then 2wd. Now put the transmission gear selector into drive or reverse move the truck 20-30 feet and it should be ok.

370

Thank you! I tried everything and then I read your post to put it in neutral and then push the 2d button and it finally went out of low 4w drive. What a relief!!

370

I was parked and put the gear shift into neutral. The car didn't move

21,670

I'm glad that I could help! If either the gear selector or transfer case are in neutral your truck won't move.

180

I disconnected the battery for about 15 mins. and reconnected it again ( problem solved)

120

You're a life saver, thanks. The first tip didn't work for my 2005, but the second one worked great.

21,670

Anytime! Glad I could help.

560

my 2005 ford excursion got stuck on low range cant get it out!!!!!!!any ideas please!!!!! already try the above tricks but no results!!!

150

I can not get my car to do any of this please help

450

I have tried all of this and my truck will not come out of 4 low

30

whow the gentleman who gave the advice to disconnect the battery.... 100 % successful ...thanks

60

Just had this problem. The second answer worked. I tried reverse n backing up a little. That must happen alot thanks Ford. But yea, TransAm77 thanks cus I tgis happened on my way home from work. I pressed it by accident wiping it down n I live 30 miles from work. So thanks for posting that anser

50

I have a 2003 Ford Sport trac it was stuck in 4x4 low Transam77 gave advice on here I put the truck in Neutral switched it to 2wd and put it in Reverse. IT WORKED. I can't thank transam77 enough I was worried it would be an expensive fix but it is back to the original way. I will never put it in 4x4 low again. Thanks a million.

130

I try it took the battery off reconnect didn't work im still stuck in 4 low I changed the switch an it still stuck I have a 2005 chevy tahoe please help

50

I have a Pajero io and my 4 w is stuck. any ideas

190

When I am in reverse there is a loud knocking noise that comes from the transfer case... how do i fix that?

10

Just to let you know I tried the backup thing you talked about here and it came out of 2 wheel low perfectly ! Thanks for the advise ! Stan

420

Tory Hi my 2007 Ford Ranger is stuck in 4 low its auto and has switch but no light in showing at all in switch and tried the above but did not work not frozen tried backing it up and everything in neutral etc. It went into 4 low after it was in 4 wheel drive and parked and now no light in switch can anyone help??

10

Thanks love just did that and it works perfectly.

96,045

Driving back and forth a little and then stopping and trying to shift it out of 4wd should work but it may take several tries.

20

I just had this problem on my 07 f150. I was fooling around in a parking lot; getting used to my "new" plow truck that I am buidling. I put the car into -what I thought was neutral and selected -what I thought was, "4x4high". i heard something coming from the transfer case almost like a "grinding" noise or a change of gears? I was stuck in 4x4 low. I crept along. trying to fix the problem. nothing. I googled for a remedy and this page was the first to come up and I read the first few suggestions. I parked, turned off the engine. selected "2xhigh" back up a one car length and like magic, I was back in gear! thank you all for your posts, it saved me. well done guys!

10

Just starting the truck and placing the gear shifter in NEUTRAL is a big help. Thanks for all the input...very helpful indeed.

50

This just totally helped me in my 2004 Ford Expedition. Thank GOD for Google!!!!

30

Thanks to transAm77, i had the same problem and with my 2005 Ford explorer your advice was so helpful

20

Thanks TransAm77!! My 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche truck had gotten stuck in 4-wheel Drive High and Your trick worked!

10

Thanks T/A77!!! Worked like a charm for my 08 Ranger that was mysteriously found in 4low

10

Just an FYI, had this happen this morning. Was in the middle of trying all your suggestions and the battery died. Found out the battery light was on. Charged it until the hubby got home, and voila! It popped right into both 2wd and 4wd high no problem. I am guessing the battery didn't have enough umph!?

Thanks TransAm77. Your suggestion worked on 2006 F-150. Huge relief. Much appreciated. Lew

60

none of this works transfer case will not engage in anything but 4 low

220

My 97 ford f150 is stuck in four low how can I get it back in to 2wd I've tried all the opions that are posted here and still no luck!!

10

Thanks all, TransAm77, you just saved me $$$

Transam77 you just saved me alot of trouble thank you your second answer worked.

10

Thank you guys so much, I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, then I proceeded to step 2. Meaning I put the car in neutral and reset it and put it in gear and it came right off thank you so much and God bless

Thank you so much....

hahaha it worked on my '99 ranger. turn key enough so you can to shift to neutral, put on 2wd then start it up.

10

Having this issue with my 2007 Ford Explorer at first pep boys told me its my from wheel Hub so they fixed that then they called me back and said its still stuck in 4 wheel low and that I needed to have it towed to a ford dealership I'm going to try this today and let you all know our result !

30

I have a ford expedition 2003 and mine stuck in 4l and all the ones I got is 2h a4wd and 4h what can I do

30

Thanks my car back

Worked .... Thanks!

10

My 1999 Expedition got stuck in 4x4 low range and i couldn't turn it off. Turns out that the electronic pedal settings that bring the pedals toward and away from the driver was set to all the way toward the driver. As soon as i moved he pedal assembly all the way away from the driver seat, put the car in neutral while stepping on the brake, the a4wd-4wdHI-and 4wdLO all switched just fine. Seems to me there must be a switch on the brake pedal that allows the 4wd options to function properly?

Thank you so much for your help. Im glad I didn't have to drive 3 hours in 4wd!

10

YES THANKS!!!!! Drove in reverse for a bit, then stopped and put it in neutral and that fixed it. Bingo!!

Thanks a lot. The first answer help me very much. You just saved me a whole day. Keep up! Nessi!

20

how to unplud 4 wheel drive

10

I have tried all of the above with no luck. I have the 4x4 auto, 4x4 high, 4 x4 low options. Where would I find 2wheel drive?

I. Have a problem with my 4wd on my 2005 ford expedition so what can i do ?

TRANSAM77! YOU ARE SOOOO AWESOME!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I DID EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID AND IT TOTALLY WORKED!!! THANK YOU A BUNCH! I SEEN YOU POSTED THIS 2 YEARS AGO AND IT STILL WORKS LIKE A CHAMP LOL :)

8/24/2017 willieboone66@yahoo.com this was the best tip i had everything what was needed to work thanks .

2001 was stuck in 4x4 high. Tried above recommendation and it is now stuck in 4x4 low. Please help!

thanks a lot it worked on my 2003 and saved my ass from getting chewed out by my dad

10

Just wanted to say I almost lost faith in this page, but alas, after running through the two top suggestions it is out of four wheel drive. Thanks guys.

10

My 2002 Ford Explorer only has 4x4 auto , 4x4 high and 4 x4 low. The low light is on. And the truck drives funny and makes a funny noise also

10

This happened after the shifter broke off and I got it into reverse and drive manually using my finger to shift

10

My 2010/2011 ford ranger xlt, stuck in 4l,, tried all of the above, still can't get it to 2l,,, what do i do,, please

To TransAM77, I thank you for your knowledge. Your comments were right on and helped me get my F350 out of 4x4 Low. Mahalo braadah!

TransAm77 thoughts on 2nd item above were right on. Mine is a 2003 and it worked as hoped for. To bad i drove 325 miles at 3700 RPM and 46MPH before I checked this . I tried the fuse and was ready to give up. All great now

Thanks a bunch people. The thing that worked for me was i drove in 4x4 low because it was stuck in that gear. An as i was driving it put it into 4x4 high it made a clunking noise an was in 4x4 high.. than from ther i made it to 4x2 thanks alot

My 07 ford sport trac was stuck in 4L and almost bought a solenoid, a actuator,and fuses until I read transam77 post about neutral and reverse. It worked! You saved me time, money, and a headache. Thanx! P.s. I once owned a 78' Trans Am

Thank you so very much for the very helpful tip it worked

I did everything here. For me it was a fuse. My mechanic found it!!!

Kia sorento 2005. Lx 4wd. Reversed it once went right out of 4w low . Thank for the big help. Thank god money saver!!