I have a 2006 Monte Carlo, the headlight on the driver side is working fine, the light on the passenger side is very dim as well as the highbeams on both sides being on and very dim but then intermittently the passengerside light will work just fine and then it will shut off again. i dont understand what could cause this, i tried new bulbs and no difference and the lense's are as clear as glass. now with the highbeam thing i mentioned, when they are on and dim is only when the low beams are on and the passenger side is acting up, if everythign works like it should then they are off unless i turn on the highbeams

20

Asked by Sep 05, 2015 at 12:29 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

Sounds like the multi-function switch gone bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BiOenPfcA

$83 + Labor .. ?

I put up wrong image.

But there is a headlamp module in the underhood PDC, Power Distribution Center. Just maybe could be....Try swapping the one under it, looks like same 15 amp. That is DRL Daytime Running lights .... click for full screen

One more. If you want to study this, may help. It was a thumbnail that I made as big as possible and still have some focus

20

the switch in the car doesn't make anything work any better or any worse, but you think it could be the switch? with the cutting in and out? also, if i check the fuse box wouldn't none of them work if one of the fuses were shot? i also charged my battery for 90mins and ran a test on it (i'm a mechanic just stumped) and it says the battery health itself is shot to shit but it's holding a charge... could that be an issue?

Yep. I agree with you that the fuses are not the problem. Otherwise the lights would not come on at all. Now, the battery..interesting thought. Maybe. Without a good supply of power, meaning good battery AND alternator, the lights will get whacky. But you confused me, the battery is shot but holding a charge? That's kinda messing with my head. Not running, the battery showing 12 Volts is a ½ charged. Full charged is 12.7V. Then with engine running, voltage at battery should be somewhere between 13 to 14 volts... or that may indicate a failing alternator. Alternator will not necessarily fail completely -suddenly- but can begin to get weak without total failure. But a simple voltage test really doesn't tell you a lot. A load test will.. holding a charge without use is all well and good, but if it won't put out amps when drawn, is another story. And you are a mechanic, I am used to explaining things to people that are clueless, so sorry, don't mean come across as talking down to you. But the switch, is a wild guess. More likely the module. In the owners manual, where I got that diagram, shows the DRL module, two of them, appear to be the same as headlight module. You can do without DRLs. So before spending money on a module, my suggestion is swap the DRL module with the headlight module and see what happens. I am going to look up how much a headlight module costs anyway

I forgot to put this up

Here is another opinion. I don't vouch for it, but the guy says the lights are controlled by BCM. Don't know 'bout that.... http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c827_ds549887

I don't get it...I can not find a headlight module on RockAuto, AutoZone, O'Reilleys, or friggin EBay. But it has them, the owners manual clearly show that

20

you have great information here and i guess what i'm saying is our tester will give us a "state of health" and a "state of charge" and it does a surface charge asking to turn on the lights and of course the passenger is so dim it doesn't read it and i have to turn on the high beam to get it to even recognize that the lights are on. but then after the thing it said it had a good charge (just had it charged for 90mins on 12 volts @ 40amps so i dunno. i'm about to trade the car in but i would like the lights to work as i do have to drive at night some still and with just 1 head lamp working at full power sucks. as for the module i'm looking for one as well and can not find one for the life of me and i'm going to be doing a full on load test later on to see what i can find out. just been swamped at the shop lately

If you are trading it in I bet dollars to donuts that the salesman will not even notice or care when he gives you a $ figure for it on a trade-in. Especially if you are buying a new car.. it's 10 years old and they won't put it on the lot. They will not spend a dime to clean it, repair it, it will just get sent to auction.