I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS with a 3.8 eng. When I shut the car off the gearshift (PRNDL) comes on when the headlights shut off. This stays on until the battery goes dead. What could cause this?

10

Asked by May 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS FWD

03 Monte Carlo SS w/3.8. I hear the click when the auto headlights go off and the gear selector indicator comes on and stays on until the battery dies. I checked the dashboard fuses. All good. I get no codes.

80,385

Sounds like a bad ground. Is anything else on the dash not working correctly? Check the wiring in the console. Especially around the shifter. Look for worn or broken wires. There's a wiring harness that rides back and forth with the shifter. Over time this harness can become troublesome. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Everything else is working correctly except the gas gauge. It reads empty, full and then empty again. That happens on my Impala too. Thanks for the quick reply!

80,385

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

10

I pulled the fuse for the dash (which controls the gauges and interior lights) to see if that would prevent the battery from going dead. The next morning the battery was dead. I haven't been able find a ground near the shifter yet. I will go underneath and check there.

Did you find a fix for this problem? I am having the same issue now after replacing ignition switch, No start No Crank.... Battey Dead Now.

I do not know what fixes this issue, but you can start the car and put it in gear and then back to park and it will release the ignition switch to turn all the way off. I ran into the same issue and still have it. There has to be a switch that releases the ignition to allow it to turn to the off position. I think it also releases the door locks if not mistaken