i have a raping noise at low, steady rpms sounds like its coming from heads,just replaced valve stem seals any one have an idear what this might be

25

Asked by Jul 02, 2008 at 08:46 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Base

I just did the valve stem seals on my 305,runs great, but I get a rapping noies when I give it a little gas and keep it steady ,rapping noies seems to becoming from one of the heads, any one have an idear what it might be......

155

i have a camaro just like yours and i did alot of stuff with my 305 cause i had some problems with it so finally i took it out and put a 355 in in....what do you mean by rapping noise

try setting your timing back a little,re adjust valves.also you may want to use a heaver oil 10 w 40.

25

I have a friend who has a 305 and his is built up and he is pushing 340 hp his runs strong all the time never seems to have a problem with it.his motor is 3 years old still going strong,when car is sitting in my driveway and i give it a little gas,it sounds fine but when i hold the gas or give it a little more gas it sounds like someone is knocking on the head, something is raping inside the head,even if i put my hand on the head i can feel it.I know if i tightened a valve to tight it would run real crappy,but engine runs great ,could it be the anti knock sensor..its not a ticking sound,

25

i did set it back a bit but noies is still there,i am using 10/40,would it be better to adjust valves with engine running,thats how we did it in the old days.

25

i bought this camaro from a teenage kid with a history of beating cars to death ,when i got the car it was'nt running, the vin number says it an iroc but this car looks nothing like an iroc,no body kit,3rd brake light is on the hatch,front noise is that of the bernet...wheels too...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A DEAD LIFTER, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR OIL PRESSURE, IF YOUR LOISING OIL PRESSURE IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY THE LIFTERS. I HOPE I COULD BE OF SOME HELP.

If your not having overheating issues.. you might want to take a closer look at the mufflers, you could have a loose baffle plate causing the noise at low R.P.M.

25

thank you pressure is low....

25

brand new flowmasters,,,car hasn't left the driveway yet......

25

that might be pinging but i would have to hear it for myself. try lucus octane booster and see if that helps

8,695

Sounds like you've got a valve adjusted too loose... I'd recommend doing it with the engine off simply because I find it easier and it's the way you have to do it on my car... which needs a valve adjustment every 6,000 miles (ouch) Also make sure you don't have any adjusted too tight or you may end up burning the valve. Hope that helps...

25

i have adjusted the valves 3 times still have the noise,