if my trans slips at higher rpms do i need a new one or could it be a filter?

45

Asked by Jan 15, 2007 at 03:24 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Camaro

it takes off great but after 2nd gear at about 3000 rpms it revs up high like its slipping till i let off the gas some does this mean its a bad tranny??

435

Hi, To answer this correctly I really need to know if you have a manual(5-speed 6-speed stright drive so to speak).Or a standard(automatic) transmission. If you have a manual transmission the it is most probably your clutch that is slipping. I have seen cars with as little as 5000 miles have a clutch start to go bad(most of those cases are from alot of burn outs and really hard driving). And i have seen some last 100,000 miles. It all depends on the quality of the parts themselves and the type of driving you or anyone may be doing. I am not telling you that you are too hard on your car. I mean lets all admit it, if you own a Camaro any year or any type 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation we all do burnouts. And there are times that we all drive them HARD. I do after a new modification I go to the small plane airport here and let it rip. If you do have a manual transmission I would be willing to bet that is what your problem is. Here is a simple test to find out. If in fact it is a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission. Drive normally up to about 30 or 35 MPH. Then switch to 5th or 6th gear. Then mash the gas pedal all the way to the floor if you see it start to rev way up, or even a little then it is your clutch. Now if you have an automatic transmission thats a bit different. Usually(NOT ALWAYS) if an automatic transmission slips i'ts when it is about to change to the next gear. Example. Your at a dead stop, you start driving at a normal speed, when you CPU tells your transmission that it is time to change to the next gear, as it starts to change gears is when you will usually feel it slip. And most of the time unless i'ts has already gotten really bad it will go ahead and change gears. If you do have a manual transmission, and the problem that you describe sounds like you do, then you need to have the clutch repaired as soon as possible. Because before long it will stop slipping and just not work all together. Leaving you stranded. If it is an automatic tranny then you need to get it checked by someone qualified to work on transmissions as this is not an area to play around with. If someone that was not qualified to work on it made some adjustments and made it worse than before, thats can be a big repair. To replace or rebuild a transmission is not cheap. PLease let me know if this help you in anyway. And also let me know if you have a manual or an automatic transmission . You can post it here. Or you are welcme to email me @ Ranger762@hotmail.com Good luck. Terry

45

its a automatic with a 3.8 v6

435

Okay, The there is about a 90% chance that you have some sort of a transmission problem. I have to be totally honest with you. I am not even close to a transmission expert. I would be and I am considered an expert in many things. But I am not going to lie and just make up some real expert sounding answer (which anybody could do). So my advice to you is exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes. Take it to a transmission shop. I would od that before ttaking it do the dealership. A couple of reaons for that. First usually a transmission service shop almost always will only do transmissions or transnission realted problems. Which means they are better at that than almost anyone else would be. Second the dealership will take longer, charge more, in most cases ALOT more, and there are other reasons that I will post here in the interest of trying to be a gentleman. You can always wait a coulple of more days and maybe someone with an expert knowledge of transmissions might post an answer. But if I had this problem in my car and it was a automatic tranny, that is what I would do. Good luck, Terry