I have a 1994 Z28 just replaced shocks and struts, have triple checked everything is correct and tight but there is loud banging coming from under the floor boards when driving the car over bumps. The car steers and ride perfectly. Where do i start looking to find the source of the noise generally.

Asked by Mar 12, 2013 at 04:26 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

sound is not necc metallic in nature and the ride and steering isnt affected at all. It sounds as though something is loose but i cannot locate any thing with any loose feel or noise when under the car. Any suggestions on what this might typically be?

210,485

Since you stiffened up the car with new shocks, maybe the exhaust is loose banging around under the car. Also inspect your transmission and engine motor mounts. Can you take it back to the shop that did the work and have them look it over for you?

sure can i go home to that garage everyday. I replaced them myself. THanks for the tip ill be back under car checking those things as soon as the weather breaks. really appreciate the help.

90,025

Check the sway bar while you are under there. Some have bushings that are attached to the body and the hardware at the ends rust away.

31,075

I was going to suggest the same thing as tom on the rear trans mount.

2,980

I don't know about your car, but some vehicles have a shaft inside the drive shaft for safety in case the outer tube breaks. Just maybe that iner one is jiggling.