I have a 1989 Camaro RS V6. On my way home from work yesterday I noticed that all my guages are floating the speedometer was bouncing around between 60 and 70 sporadically. The temperature gauge, oil gauge, rpm and gas gauge were all floating around when I slow down they all start coming back down? For just a second I smelt a very strong burning smell (electrical) that very quickly faded. The SES light has been on constant the whole time this is happening. Same thing was happening on the way to work this morning car is running and driving just fine. I guess today when I get home I can check the codes to see what codes I get as a starting point and work my way from there. I will also check the ground wires to see if maybe I am not getting good connection somewhere. Could it be my battery by chance? Maybe even a stripped wire somewhere?Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5

Asked by Sep 11, 2012 at 09:59 AM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

I know the best advise would be taking it to a mechanic, but I do not have the funds for that they raped my wallet just a little over 2 months ago and now I am the only one working so there is just not enough money for that at the moment. I do not mind getting my hands dirty so I would like to track the problem myself. Any ideas of what this could be? I love this car and it has been a great car I guess I am just hitting a spot of bad luck with it which is very irritating since it is my only way of transportation.

254,345

Right, check the codes for the SES. The guage issues are probably related to the electrical burnt smell. You going to have to pinpoint the area of the melted wire, which is probably under the dash. This should be fixed, and I'm sure the guages will work again. Battery should be good, check the voltage when you pull the codes, should be 12.4 V or better.

Best Answer Mark helpful
5

Okay so I could not wait to check the codes I went ahead and used a paper clip to check it while I was on my lunch break. I am getting code 22 (TPS) and 32 (EGR). which I am sure has nothing to do with my guages LOL. I just had the TPS sensor replaced with a brand new one what the hell? The same time I did this I replaced the MAF sensor, the idle air control sensor and had a new intake manifold gasket put one due to a leak. Once all of this was fixed like a week later (if that) it had to go back to the shop because my fuel pump went out. I have noticed that since I have done all of this to the car when it is in park it idles way too damn high until i drop it into gear then it idles fine. Could this be the TPS sensor causing the high idling? Maybe it needs to be adjusted?

10,485

Yes. The TPS will cause the high idle and it should have oval bolt holes in it which allows for adjustment. You also have an idle screw on the opposite side of the throttle body.

check all the ground wires starting with the battery.

5

Thanks Guys for all of the help!! I found out that I had a loose battery terminal which I am guessing was the problem with my gauges, because once fixed my gauges are reading correct now. I saved the TPS sensor that I replaced so that I could show the mechanic that tracked and fixed the vaccum leak what all I had done to the car before he took over. So I took the new one off and put the old one back on. Now it has a perfect idle and I have not seen the SES light since then!!! :D