Advice on finding a reputable mechanic not near my hometown to do a PPI on a used car found on CarGuru

195

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 09:08 AM

I found on CarGurus a prospective used car with some 75K miles on it  that might be of interest, but most retail dealers will let the car go off the lot for a PPI as long as the salesman is in the car...so the PPI has to be conducted locally to them.  Since this dealership is some 80 minutes from my home, how would I go about finding a reputable mechanic in that area---it's Huntington Station, Long Island, NY---or for that matter, any area that's more than 25 miles from my home?

61,195

Try using a professional inspection company. I've used lemonsquad.com in the past. The will go to the car, spend a few hours with it, take lots of pictures, drive it, and go over it with a fine tooth comb. You'll get a very detailed inspection report. The service costs about $150. HTH. -Jim