Advice on finding a reputable mechanic not near my hometown to do a PPI on a used car found on CarGuru

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 09:08 AM

I found on CarGurus a prospective used car with some 75K miles on it  that might be of interest, but most retail dealers will let the car go off the lot for a PPI as long as the salesman is in the the PPI has to be conducted locally to them.  Since this dealership is some 80 minutes from my home, how would I go about finding a reputable mechanic in that area---it's Huntington Station, Long Island, NY---or for that matter, any area that's more than 25 miles from my home?

Try using a professional inspection company. I've used in the past. The will go to the car, spend a few hours with it, take lots of pictures, drive it, and go over it with a fine tooth comb. You'll get a very detailed inspection report. The service costs about $150. HTH. -Jim