my gauges are going crazy! Left signal light dings rapidly when activated. Several alerts come up at the same time.Anyone know what is wrong

90

Asked by Mar 16, 2013 at 01:56 PM about the Buick LeSabre

I have a 2000 buick lesabre.  Recently my gauges have been going off for several different problems: Stabalizer, signal light not off, abs system, etc.  Anyone know what might be wrong?

99,105

Clean and tighten the battery connections. You have multiple electrical problems and disconnecting the battery sometimes clears them. Cleaning the connections can't hurt either. Remove the negative first and put it back on last.

two things 1.) hose off your battery, then wirebrush the battery terminals, look at the other end of the cable that goes to chassis ground and engine, make sure they have SOLID electrical connection- 2.) put a voltmeter on your battery while the engine is running and see does it have crazy high voltages? the correct voltage from the regulator should be 13.5 volts~

14,645

As a Buick/Pontiac owner for decades, the only thing I can think of is your computer senser is going bad. If it was only one thing, that system would need to be checked. Multi-systems giving bad readings means the "brains" of those systems is out of whack. You might be sitting down when you find out the price to replace it. Try a junk yard if you good at doing this work and try a replacement one. Check first because different months of manufacture will change the number on the computer module.

with good solid power the 'brain' problems will magically disappear...yes they will!

90

I cleaned the posts and replaced the signal light bulb. The bulb holder was corroded so I cleaned it. Don't know if this was part of the problem. The ABS light still comes on and "check stabalizer system" alert still comes on. I removed the front wheel because there was a lot of brake dust on the rim and checked the pads which were good. For about an hour there were no alerts and then the "check stabalizer system" and ABS light came on. If I push the "fuel info" button everything except the ABS alert goes away.

Check the voltage, should be 13.5 volts and go up to 14.8 volts if the voltage regulator is working. if it registers higher we've got regulator troubles.

the ABS is the brake system. try looking at it see if the fluid level is good, all parts are working normally.

90

Sorry for the long delay in answering. After I cleaned and did the negative battery suggestion and replaced the signal light bulb and cleaned the connections it looked like nothing was changed. A couple of days later all of the gauge lights stopped coming up and so far 2 weeks later nothing comes up. Seems that the problem always comes up when we have lots of rain in our area. I live fairly close to the ocean.