Vapor lock when hot

Asked by Aug 08, 2016 at 07:24 PM about the Volkswagen Cabrio

88 volks cab will vapor lock up on days when temp
gets over 85. Won't turn over till cooled off. She will
start ok but once she is hot she will totally shut
done like she is getting nothing, power or gas.

24,445

Sometimes a switch to an electric fuel pump will help with that problem. If you notice any place along the fuel line coming to close to the exhaust try adding a heat shield or insulating wrap to the line.

15

if you are having trouble with vapor lock, and your sure what it is, only one solution. add an inline gauge and regulator, i did. it keeps the flow down so it will not vapor lock. temp can be over 100F and it wont lock up on you, good luck. take my word on this, been there done that. [i was riding thru AZ. and it was like 113F, brand new caddy was on side of road, we got it started with pouring gas into carb, worked and he was on his way. i never had a problem, had that inline fuel pressure regulator on my ole car, worked like a charm.] This is why most FI wont have that problem, chances are that more then one FI line will vapor lock very slim. but a CARB. has only one fuel line. {FI=fuel injectors} good luck. Howard

18,570

Have vehicle put on a lift and check to make sure the heat shield that protects the gas line from exhaust heat is not missing. If heat shield is missing will cause vapor lock.

15

firebird338, if that was the problem, he would not have noticed that it happens only when temp gets over 85F or so. it would happen 100% of the time if what you said was true, and that heat shield was indeed missing. also, that would be one of the first things to check, again if it was happening all the time it would make the car almost unusable, but from his question, this is not the case and it does not happen when it does not reach 85F+. just saying.