i have been hearing a clicking/knocking sound

Asked by Apr 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM about the Chrysler Sebring

recently i have been hearing a clicking/knocking sound coming from my car especially when i apply the
breaks. and the biggest time is when i have been coasting and then apply the breaks. i thinks its the
transmission but not sure i need a second opinion please

92,695

Have you checked you CV joints on the front axles? Warped rotors can sound like a knocking sound if you have some play in the steering components. Just some things to check.

97,035

I think it's the brake rotors. If they are warped or if the pad material is not evenly spread, the pads will grab and slip. It could be the transmission but rotors are a more common cause of noises. Take a mechanic for a test drive so they can hear it.

First, I suggest you do not do a lot of 'coasting'..meaning you put it in neutral when going downhill? If so, no wonder you are hearing brake noises, Allow your engine to slow you down and give it a little throttle when needed. You may be hearing a caliper rubbing on a bad spot on the rotor and need to have them inspected.

Seems we all agree pretty much on the rotors.That's gotta mean something because we were all typing at the same time. Get them checked

well you see the thing is i just got brand new brake pads put on a month ago and they resurfaced the router (smoothed and leveled it out) and last week when i got the oil changed the did a free inspection just to make sure everything was going smoothly. they said everything looked great. and i guess coasting was a bad choice of a word...when im stuck in traffic jams i have the break applied when i let loose of the break and just role forward on its own(i cant recall what this is called) and have to reapply the break or slowly apply the break it makes those sounds

might just have to look at it myself