Why does my car make a knocking noise every time i drive over a small bumb in the road. My car runs just fine except the passenger front side makes that noise when it hits bumps

90

Asked by Aug 28, 2012 at 09:32 PM about the 2006 Chrysler Sebring Base

When i drive over a small dip or bump in the road, my car makes a knocking sound. What can that possibly be? I have a feeling that my strut is bent and i am going to have to replace it. but im not for sure what it may exactly be. can anyone help me please?

254,045

Strut, sway bar bushing, end link, etc. Best to have someone look under the car and see what is broken and or loose and fix it for you.

6,955

front or back?? In the rear the strut mounts corrode and deteriorate the new replacements are steel old are a cheap pot metal. In the front it is probably a tie rod end or ball joint, if your steering has some play side to side or if you sit still and turn the wheel side to side rapidly and hear a clunk clunk its a tie rod, get em replaced asap.

90

Its the frontpassenger side that is making the noise and i already replaced the ball joint and the control arm and it still makes the noise. My husband is the one that is currently working on my car and he keeps looking at it and is replacing part after part. so were in the middle of buying various parts plus parts that are obvious that need changed. we just dont get what exactly could be making that noise. My husband says that its the hub that could be making that noise so he is going to put the hub on today and see what happens after he puts that part on. Ill pass on this info to my husband and see what he siad and ill get back to you guys. thank you for the info and ur info on what my problem may be. Thanks!!

80

ITS MOST LIKELY A SWAY BAR END LINK

19,235

I have strut that make that noise when i go over bumps. If the wheel hub was bad you could tell by jacking up the car and shaking the wheel. Also the hub will make noise the faster you go.

160

its you right ty-rod assembly its got a fracture in the assembly and no matter what anyone else says it should only cost 25 to 35 dollars plus labor to replace so dont get rooked... i did most garages find other problems and in my case i caught several garges tinkering with parts that werent even related to why i was there

70

I GOT AN IMPALA AND JUST REPLACE THE STRUTS CAUSE I THOUGHT THATS WAS THE CASE BUT IT WAS AND THEY WERE BAD BUT IY IT FIX BUT SOMETHING IS STLLIN MAKIN A NOISE IN THE BACK WHEN I GO OVA A BUMP

50

Its definately your strut making a noise when going over a bump. Im having trouble with a clinking noise when I turn the steering wheel. My father n law said it was the axle, I think it is the ty-rod. Has anyone elsefixed this problem, whats the quick fix? Thank you.

30

@Benson3976 i think it may be your CV joints js. Clicking when turning usually does end up being the CV

60

Dodge Dealership told me it was going to be the strut mounts that needed to be replace, after keeping it for 2 days and staying in a motel room waiting for them to fix it. At the end of the second day they still hadnt fixed what they said, decided to just drive it home and fixed it myself. After looking I decided to replace the sway bar bushing and low and behold that was what was making the noise. A $6.95 part saved me $450.00. So I suggest replace them first and or even tell a mechanic to replace them if you dont want to tackle the job. Just make a mark on tthe old ones to make sure that they have been replace with new ones. CHEAP FIX!!

80

I HAVE A CHEVY MALIBU AND IT MAKES A BELL SOUND EVERYTIME I HIT A BUMP. WHAT COULD IT BE????

160

How about those of you with vehicles and/or problems other then the one in this thread post your own questions elsewhere and not on the answer to this issue.

160

THAN THE ONE...phone changed to then...and please please please use ENGLISH when posting in these threads so we can follow what the hell you are trying to explain!!!!

30

Mine 2009 nissan altima 2.5 is doing the same thing. ..ohreallys said it was my strut mount needs to be replaced. .. $53. They say its not hard to do..

160

My 05 sebring convertible 2.7 was doing this even after changing entire strut assembly with mounting arms. I was about to take the same path and start replacing all the different things everyone in this thread is talking about but I had this suspicion I'd end up replacing part after part never repairing the clank. So, my dad took a look and discovered my passenger motor mount was collapsed. I'm not sure how your car is assembled or the specifics like some of these other people seem to know, but I know my chrysler 2.7 intimately and all the tweaks that come with it. So, upon further inspection we discovered that all four of my motor mounts were collapsed actually. And the passenger side one was completely broken apart into 3 peices. Replaced all 4 of them (after already replacing the strut assemblies) and it drives like a brand new dream again :) just saying check the engine mounts...especially if you have any uneven wear on your tires and you've replaced all those things and it is still doing it. I'm throwing my money down on engine mount. When I hit a bump,, since mine was actually broken into the engine was actually clanking down on that side. :) good luck...even tho I'm sure it is solved since it was 3 yrs ago lol

160

my 2007 pt cruiser with 51,050 miles only on it, doing same thing, could not find any play or damaged tie rod, ball joints everything seems tight, bell tire said could be front struts banging , bought on line from complete struts 2 front struts and 2 read shocks for $158.00 for complete set, take 40 mins to put on, BUT not the problem still banging over bumps, but i have new struts and shocks now, if your looking to replace your pt struts I recommend the complete struts , no spring replacement every thing you need is there , just replace and go

254,045

Tasha, did your husband check the motor mounts?

10

Stabilizer bar link. The new ones have a grease fitting on the bottom bushing. The top one has probably gone bad. Already have changed them about 5 years ago. The top one has no grease fitting. 2007 Mitsubishi Raider. Rock Auto is reasonable. I had somebody push on the front end while feeling at the top of the stabilizer link. There was play where metal is hitting. Bushing is bad! Thet should put a grease fitting like on the bottom.

Is it fixed?

2001 Chrysler convertible. Upper mount for shock absorber rubber rotted out. Made a loud bang on normal road bumps. Replaced everything except bearing and tie rod including drive axle as car is 16 years old for modest money but lots of my labor. Problem appears cured.

Hi I've got a 2003 chrysler 300m and a month a go I replaced the rear struts, front lower control arms, and front stablizer and their bushings.Then I took the car for an allignment and 2 days after that, I started hearing a sound under my legs from under the car when hitting the bumps ( specialy when turning left and one of my wheels hits a bump , the sound also sometimes gets repetitive when going on an uneven or abit bumpy road and it feels as if someone is hitting the car from beneath with a hammer. So I went to the mechanic and he said it could be the sway bar bushings, so I replaced them but the sound is still there, then ge said it could be the front struts, so I replaced them too but still nothing, then he said it could be the inner cv axles of the driveshaft, so I replaced both driveshafts and their axles but still nothing. His has guess is the output bearing of the transmission to the inner cv axle. But I cant trust him anymore after all this. Please help me find out what could be the problem. Thanks.

@ SOHEIL.. It looks like this mechanic was trying to take advantage that you were willing to replace everything he was recommending. Get another opinion and report him to BBB.