have 2006 pt cruiser with windshield wipers that suddenly began running by themselves. How can I shut them off?

Asked by Jan 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM about the Chrysler PT Cruiser

At first the wipers were running intermittently and when I pushed forward on the arm on the steering column they would stop.  Eventually though, the arm broke off.  Now the wipers run constantly and at high speed.  I looked at the solution by Judge Roy to remove fuse #31-which I tried but the wipers continued to run when I started the car.  Judge Roy also mentioned tapping the wiper motor to free the cam, but I'm not sure where the motor is.  Can someone please help...I'm getting desperate and may have to remove the wipers completely!

19,525

the problem is obesity in the broken wiper switch, to disarm them the motor should be under the cow vent at base of windshield , remove vent and unplug, or get ahold of the wires at that broken switch and unplug that connector! that's where youll be working to replace the switch anyway

1,075

This is an issue with the whole switch attached to the control arm, It contains all of the mechanisms to operate the wipers and washers as well as speed and intermittency. All you need to do is go to a dealer or parts store on the net, a used parts dealer will have this part as well, at a greatly reduced price. Remove the covers that will expose the unit itself, remove the clip that contains the wiring, generally it's a white plastic or nylon piece with a clip on one side, pry the clip with a flathead screw driver and install the new one, button it up after you check your work and make sure the part functions correctly. Good Luck