The windsheld wipers on my 2006 keep going on by themselves and I can't turn them off.

80

Asked by Mar 26, 2013 at 02:33 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

For the past week my wipers keep turn on by themselves as soon as I start the car and while I am driving and I can't turn them off.
I have tried everything short of pulling the fuse or just removing the wipers.
Any suggests ?? Or should I just pull the fuse? And if so how in the heck do I do that!!

the cam inside the motor is sticking...rap it with screwdriver handle or ball peen lightly, it will stop....if you've got the time, rebuild or replace it~

Best Answer Mark helpful

see if I can come up with which one 'case rappin' it just wasn't workin'

here's what. still have to know where~

looks like pull the relay from cavity 31 to stop them~

80

Hey it worked!! Looks like it is fix. And I did not know what a cam was or is. Thank You! you are a God sent! thehappyvictor

yay. was only a guess, had this happen with my 34,000 miles on it MINI cooper 2006...guess just anytime is a good time to start misbehavin' So glad for you so aptly named thehappyvictor~

102,325

You're going to have to replace that wiper motor. Hitting it is not always going to work. There is a switch inside that is supposed to turn the wiper off at the bottom of the stroke. That's called the "Park" position. The switch in your wiper motor is staying closed when it's supposed to open.

buggered up, that. How do you suppose these things go bad? thermal cycling between -14 up to +93 degrees farenheit...small spiders (yes, seen 'em) or even ants find their way in and hatch in a "safe place" you electrical contacts...could this be of a galvonic nature, where small currents create a blockade of emulsion that power cannot go thru? witnesses? jury?

bent. yes. but how did it bend? through normal cam action every cycle of the wipers? Don't you think they'd be smart enough to use an optical switch for this application? seems like a well...duh, moment~

in one moulded case sender and receiver with a horseshoe configuration, anything that enters the horseshoe sets off the pulses...used this on the SATCOM II working for RDI on the ground unit in China- Those guys were fools with their designs....moof, the place was going under, I was hired to help save whatever I could~

102,325

The thing that happens to contact points is that they arc when they open and close. That arcing causes pits in the contact surface. The pits reduce the contact area so more current flows through the remaining areas. Sufficient current flow through metal can cause melting - that's called welding. The contact points can and do weld together and keep current flowing. Tapping on the switch box can break the contacts free but it can return again.

semi-conductor no moving parts would be the solution, 'cept you'd be darn tootin' to find windshield wipers that worked without some measure of physical involvement...you know I've always enjoyed a product called 'Rain-X' which is a little hard to put on right, but amazingly makes the rain go anerobic, no wipers needed~

80

Rain-X? Hummm, I will look in to it . Thanks

haven't used this bottle in years, takes a very long time to apply, quarter sized circles the entire windshield, but is keen 'cause you don't have to use your wipers...at all!

just treated the MINI to a coat of rain-x....supposed to rain tomorrow, bought that bottle about fifteen years ago, will see if it stands the test of time....remember driving to Cleveland from MIlwaukee in my '73 Toyota and never having to put on the Windshield wipers...extraordinary!

it hasn't rained in California in over eight months....dry, dry, tinder box....all~

Hi I have a 2008 pt.cruiser and my windshield wipers will work for like 2 seconds then half way they stop and I have to be switching the switch on and off to make them go down again I already replaced the motor and windshield wiper switch and pcm what else can it be

My 2008 pt.cruiser my front windshield wipers work for about 2 seconds then stop I have to be turning them off and on to make them go back down again I replaced the motor,pcm ,and swith and still nothing can u help me please

hello I had a problem with my car wipers kept on no lights no indicators or hazards lost a lot of electrics went to a auto electrics he said it had lost its memory and reprogramed it every thing is working but he cant guarantee it wont happen again hope this helps you get sorted allan

i need help starting my pt cruiser, I replaced almost everything im not sure why my car wants to start but it wont start