transmission shifts good when it's first started then losses gears on 96 blazer s10 2wd

Asked by Aug 05, 2014 at 11:25 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer

just wondering if i need to replace transmission or if it could be something else, shop said
it was internal and wanted $2300 to repair is this for real?

Sounds about right. Keep in mind that the transmission fluid gets thin as it heats up, therefore, it's not able to get the internal parts moving correctly if they are worn. I knew a guy back in the 1960's that swore that by adding STP to the tranny it helped. I don't know about that.

Before I would pay that might try changing the fluid and filter. Add a bottle of CTC to trans fluid when you re fill it. Or you can try just adding a bottle of CTC to fluid without changing fluid and filter. This stuff does wonders on older transmissions.

2300 is outrageous, i can get a 4x4 blazer/s10 trans revoved, rebuilt, and reinstalled for around 1500

John Carson

Before forking out $2300.00, try the additives, changing fluid, shopping around, AND look at the cost of a new or rebuilt. I'd rather go with a new one if it needs to be rebuilt. You are spending about $1,000 more than need be. Your bands may be tired, so a rebuild kit should fix it. Do shop around if the additives don't work. the additives are a temp fix. If trading it in is on your mind in the near future, do the additive trick. What your doing is thickening the transmission fluid to get it to work, but it will not do the trick for long. $2300 is a good down payment even for a slightly used Blazer or other vehicle of your choice. Check Summit or Tremac for transmission prices.

Thomas Henson

It is internal an it should not cost 2300 usually around 1400

Reese Blalock

As always with internet sources, the opinions vary along with prices because, until things are properly checked, and checked by someone who desires your business more than your money, no one can say with precision what the root cause is, and whether or not a simpler approach to the issue is available. The term rebuilt is widely used and more often misused in connection with transmission repair. In the simplest terms, to open your transmission and change minimal parts, fluid and filter, it could technically be said that it was rebuilt. Better shops (search for their online reviews) are going to be more thorough and use more parts and techniques to ensure maximum durability than sources quoting 850-1500 on that type of transmission. If a consumer gets a "rebuilt" transmission for 1500 that a reputable shop quoted for 2300, does that mean the later is ripping one off? And that the first is fair and did a superior job? Absolutely not. Some good examples, used tire versus a new tire, name brand TV off brand TV, Breyer's Ice cream, Store brand ice cream. What appears to be "the same thing" to the consumer in this case, is far from being the same, for you have ethics, services, techniques, warranty, reputation, years in business, etc also in the mix. The moral, the right way to find the right fix, is not comparing prices, rather, start with online reviews, then, see which techs insist on an inspection before pre-selling you something.

John Carson

Reese, I agree with your reasoning. An experienced shop having handled a lot of transmissions with similar issues can just about tell what the issue is and give a close statement on a good fix along with the cost. Getting into a bidding war just for the work, will lead to corner cutting. As you know, what may appear on the outside is a different can of worms once the transmission is opened up. What was thought to be worn bands is now bands, pump and other issues costing more that the original estimate. It takes time and money to remove and open a transmission to give a complete diagnose and estimate repair analysis. Businesses have external expenses, labor costs, insurance, taxes, rent or mortgage payments that has to be part of the cost of doing business. Moving to a new part of town, means paying higher rent than staying in an old rundown part. That is a decision the owner must take into consideration as it will affect his bid for jobs. This is not a lecture on how to run a successful business, but you must tell people there is a possible cost increase if more damage is located once they are inside the transmission. This has happened to me many times, and I accept it. My wife and I drive all our vehicles well over 10 years and 150,000 miles and know parts wear out. We understand this. A person struggling to make ends meet can not afford to have such a surprise happen either. So perhaps a lower fix cost is the only way they can go, and they have to make a decision on what they can do. Any yes there are people doing jobs that just get buy by using low quality parts. I had three vehicles brakes done at a very reputable garage, only to have the brakes fail after 10,000 miles or less. When I went back, I found he closed shop and left the state a month after I had my last car done. Got a good price though. But paid more later to have it done right.