Problem with 96 chevy blazer S10 need help

10

Asked by Sep 28, 2016 at 04:47 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LT

I need help this past Sunday I blew my radiator I'm
guessing I had a leak that I didn't know about . So
this weekend coming home the truck water Gage
was show it was getting and trying to get off the
freeway as soon I as I got to the exit and stop
that's when the radiator blew so I push it to the gas
station pop the hood and the whole left plastic
piece was cracked and then the tow truck guy
wanted to start it and I told him no because it was
cracked but he cracks it and nothing and so I got it
home and replace it and now it just makes a loud
grinding noise but won't start and the positive side
of the battery got hot . It's a 1996 4.3 LT Chevy
blazer 4X4 S10 model . Any information would be
helpful & please no smart remarks thanks.....

17,075

Sounds like you need to try to turn the motor over by hand at the crank shaft. See if it moves, also check starter not disengaging and look for shorts on that positive terminal wire.

47,735

I agree with "enginecreator", the engine could have blown a head gasket which over pressured the radiator causing it to split. Trying to turn the engine over by hand will tell you if you have a cylinder full of coolant that has hydro locked it. Certainly there could be other issues.

10

To Bob I thought a hydro locked was cause by a bad spider fuel injector which I just went through that already?

17,075

Not stepping on Bob here by answering this. No many times when a cooling problem happens like yours did with describing the blowing of the radiator this is caused by exhaust building up to such a high degree that it blew the plastic tank open. The only thing to do this is a blown head gasket. This is not a fact that has happened to your auto but a simple guess because you described it to us and we are giving you the best answer based on the information you gave us. But Pull the spark plugs & turn engine over to see if a cylinder had coolant in it blocking the engine from turning over.

17,075

P.S. do not turn over engine until the above suggestion has been performed (pulling out all spark plugs and label the plug wire location) as it can bend a piston rod or break a rod.

47,735

Hydro lock is referring to any fluid that may be in a cylinder in sufficient quantity to hydro lock the cylinder. Fluids will NOT compress like air will and can cause serious damage when trying to crank the engine. I personally bent a connecting rod on a 1993 Mercury Cougar 3.8 V6 when I tried to start it with coolant in the #3 cylinder.

10

I see and no one was trying to step on Bob , Thank you for the information.

47,735

I was not thinking he stepped on me.... Actually the other explanation of the possible issues was very good. Keep in touch and let us know what the problem is when it is found.