1972 Cutlass S Model

45

Asked by Nov 07, 2015 at 09:05 PM about the 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass

I want to change out the 350 rocket and put a crate motor anyone have any
suggestions

52,355

It would be a shame to make the car non-original so I would recommend a re-build instead. However there are Olds crate engines http://www.precisionengine.com/rebuilt-engines/oldsmobile- crate-engines/-

17,375

I hope that your car is in beautiful condition. Otherwise, a rebuild will not help your situation. And , the interior should look spotless as well. Post a picture of your car. Condition on a used classic is the key to everything, it's not worth saving otherwise.

52,355

Nonsense Mark. Of course it is worth saving. A rebuilt engine will allow Murphy to drive the car while restoring it. People lose interest in restorations when they can't drive it.

52,355

My avatar is not a photo I found on the web!

17,375

Hopefully, it looks as good as the car in this Web link below. I remember this car well, my parents had one and I used it on many occasions. See this link below, http://oppositelock.kinja.com/1972-cutlass-supreme-the-oppo- review-1497677023

17,375

Full_of_Regrets, nice Jaguar, why are you selling it?

52,355

It is my dream car and I will miss it but It is time to move on and I want a family type classic car.

45

I have restored the car totally inside is in mint condition. I just hooked up with the wrong guy to rebuild my motor and I think the best thing for me to do is take it out and put a crate motor in and rebuild it on a later date. The picture of the car black is when I got it 5 years ago. The white car is what it looks like today.Its hard to find a mechanic that works on old cars where I'm from. Its like I have been paying people to practice working on my car, they need to be paying me.

52,355

It is hard to find a good machine shop and mechanic that do proper rebuilds these days. I would look for a shop that builds hot rod and racing engines and have a talk with them. Checking your local car clubs might get you some good references. By all means hold onto the stock engine! Good luck Murphy!

45

Thanks man no doubt I will hold on to the original

17,375

Murphy368- I saw the picture of your white Cutlass and it looks very nice, I'm sure that the interior is also nice. Regarding your dilllema finding a good mechanic is unfortunate, you'd probably be better off finding someone in a larger city? I imagine that you live in a smaller community or small town? I would not put in a race engine, it would make the car less saleable in the future for a "normal " buyer.

17,375

Full_of_Regrets- I understand, sometimes it is time to move on, what kind of "classic family car " were you thinking? How long have you owned the Jaguar? . It's a true classic for sure. I imagine that it's cost you a lot to insure and maintain properly over the course of years, but, depending on how long you've owned it, I can that it's quite valuable. It will take a special buyer for your car, but, they're out there. I don't collect cars, but, I appreciate what you have. Cheers.

17,375

Full_of_Regrets- one more thing, it takes a special person who has a lot of patience and time to collect cars. Cars normally are not good investments, they depreciate and it takes a lot of effort to maintain and keep them mint over an extended period of time. Most people just can't do it. Even if you were able to say purchase a modern collectible, you wouldn't live long enough to see a return on your investment.

52,355

Classic cars like Jags appreciate a lot. I have owned it for 20 years and it is frankly now too valuable to drive. A big 4 seat American convertible from the 60's or early 70's would be great. You apparently are not aware of values in the collector car market these days. Take a look around on Hemming's some time!