2001 Blazer TESTING FUEL PUMP

5

Asked by Sep 01, 2011 at 10:06 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Blazer

I have a 2001 Blazer with a VORTEC ENGINE WITH NO INJECTORS.
Bogs down/stalls. How do I check fuel pump/fuel relay?

35

The fuel pump relay is under the hood in a box marked fuses, I just flipped the cover over, found the one marked fuel pump, then identified one that looked identical to it and switched them around. But my experience with your symptoms, sounds like your fuel pressure regulator has gone bad. This can be very expensive at the dealer, but some "shade trees" are attempting these for a lot less, if you can find one who even knows what it is. Good luck!

it could be the FP regulator,and most are located at end of fuel rail,it also sounds like the fuel filter is stoped up.oh and by the way,their is no FP relay on it.also run a can of seafome fuel injector cleaner in a tank of gas.

90

Actually, your Blazer does have fuel injectors, and a fuel pump relay. Your injectors are inside the intake plenum, in a spider config. There is a fuel pressure regulator on that as well. Very easy to change out with hand tools and a little bit of skill. I would check your fuel filter first, if you think its fuel related. Also, you may want to see what your fuel pressure is, as well. Relays rarely go bad, and either work or not. I dont see how a relay would cause these symtoms. By the way, I too have an 01 Blazer w the 4.3l vortec

10

Ya but that spider might be bad I have changed a many of them I never knew about that untill I when threw everything and final asked my friend who runs his own garage

90

I have a 1999 Chevy blazer. I was driving down the road and it just died. Wouldn't restart. Will crank but not run. We have replaced plugs, plug wires, spider injector. Finally got it to start but won't run for more than 30 seconds then dies. Changed in line fuel filter and still won't run for long. Does this sound like fuel pump? Or are we missing something?

Actually, a 2001 Chevy Blazer has the "spider assembly " which has only 1 main injector that sends fuel to "poppets". Over time these poppets carbonize and can get brittle. They hang out farther than 2002 and newer system. So the poppets can break and clog things up. The 2002 forward has a "spider assembly " with 6 little mini injectors. Just another thing you can check. It's possible to get the newer spider assembly with mini injectors to upgrade for a longer term solution. Plus it gets better gas mileage.

if its boggin down check for wear on the distibutor shaft.. mine did the same thing.. replaced every sensor.. plug wire fuel pump, and checked the dist. and it was wore out.... let me know if this helps.