'02 Blazer ~ Intermittent Fuel Pump

Asked by Nov 06, 2014 at 11:43 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet Blazer 2 Door LS

I have an 02' Blazer 2Door 2WD 4.3L vortec. Great truck - very low miles. Sorry if this
is long, but i want to give all the info - about a month ago the fuel pump went out. She
was showing signs / not starting on the 1st/2nd try and finally wouldn't start. It's a 12
year old pump and I was also that guy trying to make til Friday on a quarter tank - so
no complaints so far. I checked the relay and fuse, all good there - so I bought a new
AC Delco and fuel filter. Drained and dropped the tank, cleaned and dried the tank and
installed the new fuel filter. The pump came with a new pigtail - so I wired in the new
pigtail, attached the hoses and re-attached the tank. Not bad for 6 hours of work ( first
time - don't judge ). She fired right up and ran like a champ / about a week later I
stopped and filled up the gas tank. Next day - no start / no whine from pump / 0 psi at
the schrader valve. Assuming it must be an electrical issue - I dropped the tank and
tested the gray power wire / 12 volts. But to be thorough / in case I made a mistake / I
stripped and re crimped all the connections, heat-sealed the sleeves and wrapped in all
in electric tape. Tested the pump - she hummed like a kitty. Re-installed the tank and
she fired up like a champ. Drove around a couple of days - stopped and filled the tank
with gas. Same thing - wouldn't start right there at the pump. i poured fuel in the intake
- she would start and run until the fuel burned up. no hum from the pump. had it towed
home ... again ... began to siphon my now full tank of fuel to drop it yet again. At about
1/2 way , I tried her and the pump primed and she started right away. For the past two
weeks I have been unable to make it NOT WORK - but i am worried to go very far , less
i be stranded again. on the gauge I get 60 with the key on and 56 running. With the
engine off the pressure holds for quite a long time - well over an hour+. So what would
cause a brand new AC Delco pump to not work only when the tank is full - then start
working when some of the fuel is removed? Anyone else have this issue or have any

sounds like you bought a bad pump . a They can be bad out of the box . Id return that pump as faulty and try a new one

Richard Shiffka

Ya I have seen my uncle's truck he had to 4the first 3 were no good and finally the last one was good it sucks just be thankful you weren't paying someone