1970 GTO Engine Verification

Asked by Oct 19, 2010 at 04:24 PM about the 1970 Pontiac GTO

I'm trying to verify the engine number matches with the car. So far the only number I have been able to find is 0565141 YS. I know the YS designates it as a 400 CU 330 HP. Would like to know what year the block is.

100

will this help? http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/id_info/pontiacengineid/pontengid1.html

I've seen that, thanks. Unfortunately, it doesn't list the number I found on the block.

100

Funny,i tried to google serch and founded interesting pages on Pontiac block codes but none of the had yor stamping. like http://www.teufert.net/pontiac/bloccast.htm

100

and http://www.gtoforum.com/f12/engine-code-date-discrepancy-help-19997/ are you sure you have the right code your trying to break?

I checked it multiple times. I wrote it down correct.

15

To confirm if the engine is a match to that car, the serial number is on the right side of the engine front just above the bottom hole fro the timing chain cover. This started in 1968 if I recall correctly. It will be difficult to see with the engine in the car and will likely be covered in crap.

3,185

YS is code for 400ci with an automatic tranny for 1970 the munber 0565141 should be the last digits in the VIN if its a matching numbers car.

3,185

the block code is stamped on the rear of the engine on the passenger side where the tranny mates up ,get me that number & i'll tell you what it is.

130

the ys can be matched up with the vin #.

3,185

no it can't. the YS only IDs the engine , it's the number that follows the YS that should match the VIN.