My Mercedes benz C200 W204 2008 version only cranks and won't start

Asked by Jun 06, 2016 at 05:06 PM about the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Hi All, I need some help here. I own a Mercedes benz C200 W204 elegance model. The last I used it was 3 weeks ago....drove 7-8 Km an then let it stand for a whole week as I had to leave town on work. When I got back the following week, I tried starting the car, but the battery had gone down. This is the first time this happened, as I always use the car mostly on the weekends only and it always starts.
After charging the battery, the car only cranked but did not start. The battery guy refereed me to a local mechanic who came with a OBD2 scanner and got the following report - "The output for the fuel pump has an electrical fault or open circuit". He told me that probably rats have bitten off a wire (probably to the fuel pump) and that he would surely fix the problem, but I would need to tow the car to his shady garage and leave it overnight, which I was not comfortable in leaving my car with someone I didn't really know.
So I called another Mech (who I heard was very experienced in these cars) and he came and immediately removed the back seat to check the fuel pump. He remove the connector to the fuel pump and turned on the ignition to the fuel pump with a continuity tester in between the loose end of the connector and the other attached to the fuel pump. The lights came on and he suggested that current / voltage is coming up to the fuel pump but the fuel pump is dead !!! I now need to shell out approximately 20k to change the fuel pump. (called MB and they gave me a quote of 40k)
I am still confused, what if this is not a fuel pump issue ? what if the fuel filter is choked? what if a relay is not functioning right? the other local mech told me very confidently that he would get my car started...like he knew what to do and where...
Appreciate any help or advise in this matter.Thanks.

12,385

Part of the owning any MB is the ability to pay large amounts of capitol to keep them running! a real tech won't look at this for less than $200+ and they WILL know whats wrong in 15 minutes.. First year '08 model automobiles always have troubles too. The simple procedure is to check fuel pressure (PSI) at the the injector rail if its not at spec change the filter.. But this is not the filter! its the fuel pump. Finally, If you don't trust these guys who both did a KINDA ODD check out? The MB Dealer is your place to have it done. Regards Oh , Why, was the battery down after only a week? (7-Days) another issue or bad battery...change time?

I was always told that from year 2008 onward, the cars that came out were very sturdy will little or no problems... Which model do you suggest to be a better alternative ? Also, the battery is weak...I don't know how it ran down...I mistakenly left my keys out this time and suspecting my son who may have played with the seat adjustments or lights while I was away...or maybe, my battery has gone bad....

22,415

you said you have to pay 20,000 dollars to replace a fuel pump? wow- the high price of being cool keeps goin' up-

12,385

2012 or later V6 C 350 for entry level MB..A better choice!

@Jamblues; No not 20k USD. I had given the rate in my local currency. The cost in USD is $300.