Why does the battery keep going dead and the battery light stay on?

30

Asked by Jan 01, 2015 at 04:49 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Venture

The battery is new, but about once a week the battery is dead. The alternator output is about 14.4v and maintains the voltage under load, but the battery light remains on.

78,065

The voltage output of the alternator may be good but what about the amperage? If the amperage isn't up to specs the light will stay on and the battery will keep going dead. HTH. -Jim

30

Jim, I assume I could check that with an amp meter? I was considering replacing the alternator, but the cost is high for an uneducated guess. Also, it seems to be a difficult replacement.

78,065

Yes, check it with an amp meter. Just remember that you're dealing with DC amps. HTH. - Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
345

you could also do a quick check by starting the vehicle and with it running disconnect the negative battery cable the unit should stay running but if it dies replace the alternator

78,065

Don't do that! That test was for old time cars not equipped with computerized electronics. -Jim

30

Thanks Jim, I was just about ready to try it. I'll do the amp check in the morning. I'm not sure the specs on this alt. 90, 120???

78,065

You're welcome. I once made that mistake and wound up replacing every exterior light bulb on my '70 Catalina! The amperage rating should be stamped on the outside of the alternator. HTH. -Jim

30

Would the battery cables cause this concern? Like a bad chassis ground?

78,065

Yes it could. -Jim

30

Thanks again Jim. I removed the alt and had it tested at Advance, they claimed it was good but the results f

30

Thanks again Jim. I removed the alt and had it tested at Advance, they claim it was good but the results didn't show amps??? I chose to buy one and installed a 125 amp one and the battery warning shut off. I assume the problem is corrected. Thanks for the help.

78,065

You're welcome. Glad to help. Also very glad you fixed it! Thanks for letting us know. -Jim

78,065

Thank you for the best answer click as well! -Jim

345

thank you as well for letting us know about not disconnecting battery cable while car is running on newer cars, I have done it a quite a few times glad I didn't fry anything trying it.

78,065

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

10

HELP PLEASE My 01 venture is doing the same thing I changed the alternator and the battery decided to ride to AC everything was fine until I started it to go to the store and it started soon as I turn on the road it shut down I restart it and shuts down again PLEASE HELP