How to tow a 1982 firebird with auto trans 125mi

Asked by Jun 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM about the 1982 Pontiac Firebird

I need to tow a non running bird with auto trans approx 125 mi. can i use a car dolly if I unhook the drive shaft or load the bird on dolly backwards and leave in nuetral for free stearing, How can I move it with out hurting the Trans---Ron

8,545

yes, u shoud tow from the back wheels and have the fronts on the ground. they move freely. i'm thinking in park. u don't need the steering wheel free; lock the column straight.

13,005

Do not lock the steering wheel it will pull straight, locked in a supposed straight position will scuff the tires

205

i personally would use a full trailor but if you use a dolly always pull forward. the other guy is right you will scuff your tires.

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

that is the best way to insure the car never makes it to the destination. I tow for a living, LOCK THE STEARING STRAIGHT! otherwise the car wil change lanes with out you. or pull the drive shaft and pull from the front

55

I hope to god you take the advice of the first guy here, not the ones that want you to leave the stearing un locked. either tow it like he said from the back, STEERING LOCKED, or drop the drive shaft and pull from the front... I tow for a living.

8,545

yeah.. i would NOT want to see a car going side to side on the road while towed. yikes! i just thought of how the tow truck does it when in doubt. the flat bed is safest if u can get one rented.. good luck. :) BTW... is it a hitch with wheels?? if so i've seen the tires FASTENED with restaints to keep it on the platform. that insures firebird will not jar loose from trailer.

55

Hell and yes. it's ileagle to tow anything without a tie down on it here, though there are trucks designed to hold the entire wheel. check front end clearance too. you may be close to the ground. if you are too close drop the drive shaft the back end of that car is shorter.

305

I had to tow my Trans Am for 5 miles and what I did was get a lift tow truck and lift the front so that the rear wheels would follow, also I put the trans in neutral.