Modify Forward Exhaust Clearance?

125

Asked by Dec 16, 2010 at 08:01 PM about the 1973 Pontiac Firebird

I have a 1973 Pontiac Firebird (Second Generation, or F-Body) and it has a Y-shape exhaust system. The thing is the forward
pipe before it hits the muffler is slanted downwards almost one inch lower then the chassis then recedes up in the muffler. It is
the cause of most bottom scrapes of dips and speed bumps and significantly lowers the clearance of the car even though the
chassis is as high as any normal car.

I plan to cut, weld and raise the forward pipe to chassis level. Is that possible and does anyone recommend the choice?

The photo is from a Camero with the same chassis (F-Body), but it gets the idea how low it is.

5,285

Do you know what work the previous owners had done to the car or are you the original owner? I suspect that this piece of the exhaust system has already been replaced from the original and putting in a new pipe section or modifying the one that is there will cure it. You also may be able to loosen or add clamps holding the exhaust in place to shift its position without any welding.

125

I I forgot to mention it has been installed Flowmaster Exhaust, so actually what I want to do is rearrange the pipes so one is not lower then the other. So the chance of preserving original exhaust has crossed deeper into non-purist. Besides the previous muffler blow out.

125

One pipe is lower then the other, in a vertical/diagonal stack (so it almost looks like a Y, my bad). I forgot that a Flowmaster system was installed so right now I am look into why the pipes are not lined up. On another note The car still has the original style muffler which makes it look like a Y system.