Start car that has wrecked ignition sw assembly

Asked by Dec 25, 2006 at 06:48 PM about the 1987 Mazda 626

Hola,
An attempt to steal my car ended up w/ having the key tumbler/ig-sw assembly being pushed out the other side of the steering column. I need to either rebuild the assembly or short the contacts (or on starter solenoid?) to start the car to get it home.
Where could I find an exploded view of the ig-sw assembly or how to short the contacts to get the car started?
Greg

23,010

Hola gregorio! Fortunately (or unfortunately) its fairly easy to hot wire a car. You have a couple of ways to go here ... You should be able to pretty readily identify the ignition wires at the steering column. In the 1988 they are black and white (there was no listing for the 1987 in the source I checked). They can be other colors however such as yellow, blue, or red. Once you find them its just a matter of touching the wires together (holding the insulation or separated from the wires with insulating material of course) Failing that you can connect a wire between the positive terminal of your battery and the connector on your starter motor and away you go. Good luck!