Generator light on

40

Asked by Jun 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM about the 1974 Volkswagen Beetle

Can I drive my 1974 volkswagen super beetle for an hour with the generator light on,
without doing damage

66,685

As long as belt is on,you can,but if light is on,that means genarator may not be charging the battery,and may not power you all the way on your our journey.

40

OK Thank you so much , that was really helpfull

22,725

Your battery will go flat- and the car will stop- I don't think it will run for an hour if the battery is getting no charge- that's the beauty of those old classics- an alternator is cheap, a voltage regulator is cheap-

40

My car is at my cabin an hr from the city where I have a garage, it would be easier to work on and easier to get the alternator checked or buy a new one. If I bring it in I have 3 charged batteries and will have someone follow me . Will let you know what happens,in a week or so, thanks so much for your help--- andy

9,895

just keep in mind when the voltage gets to low and the car starts to stall be sure you shut it off since the car can easily flood the cylinders or foul the plugs.

40

You guys have been really helpfully ,no one else knew the answer. Thanks guys---Andy

I have a 71 super beetle for 5tear I been replacing first generator then alternator evry year not only goes bad it damage my radio.what can be the reason?

9,895

you likely have a short in the wiring my man. start pulling out wires and checking for signs of breaks.