72 Super Beetle starts and runs fine first. After I drive it for a while and park it for 30 min to 1 hour, it trys to start but cant. Its almost like it doesnt get enough gas. Just replaced fuel line

Asked by Jul 29, 2013 at 09:53 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

replaced fuel line and filter. A few days after the problem started. Its almost like the engine is hot and then it doesn't want to start. Turns over but maybe doesn't get enough gas to start? What could be wrong with it? Please help

86,805

Check the fuel tank venting system, it may be putting a vacuum on the tank thus cutting off the fuel supply.

23,575

Might be a faulty fuel pump starting to go bad.

6,725

Sounds like what you have is "vapor lock" in the fuel line. The heat in the engine compartment is causing the fuel vapor to expand inside the fuel line and not allowing enough fuel to get to the engine via the carburetor. Flathead Fords from the 30's and 40's use to have the same problem when the fuel pump got weak with age. Did you install the fuel filter in the correct direction ?

Thank you all for your answers and help. I didn't drive the VW for a week and now it has been running like a champ. I haven't had any starter problems. I think Fordtudor37 was right, it was vapor lock? At the time it was also 103 degrees daily, maybe that had something to do with it also? Thanks again for all your help.