My 1969 VW Beetle stalls when I come to a stop. It idles and runs fine. Why does it do this?

35

Asked by Nov 23, 2007 at 11:14 PM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

I have already changed the fuel filter, plugs, points, cap& rotor, . I set the timing and adjusted the valves. I also sprayed carb. cleaner inside and out of the carb. and added "Lucas" gas treatment to the gas. The idle speed is fine and it runs good as long as I am moving. As soon as I put in the clutch and apply the brakes the car stalls. Sometimes I can catch it and blip the gas pedal to keep it going or as it coasts I pop the cluch and it starts right up. What can I do to solve this porblem?

only thing i know to try checking on carb,is in middle is a plug,check and see if it is sucking air,spray a little carb cleaner around it.if engine speeds up replace plug.

40,245

It could be that your clutch is starting to go, also. If it's not engaging fully at lower speeds it could be causing your stalling issue.

35

Yes it was the carb. I replaced it with a rebuilt one and the problem stopped. Also my car runs better now than it ever has since I've had it. Thanks for your help.

10

hi, i have exactly the same problem although have changed everything including the carby! I have no idea what to do as it is very dangerous to be driving like this as you would know having to wack it into nuetrul in order to break!

10

A flaky coil can sometimes cause a similar problem as strange as that sounds.

60

It's the carb. Even new ones floods on stopping if the choke isn't perfectly set up..