How to check and diagnos the fuel cut-off switch on a 71 Beetle?

Asked by Mar 01, 2012 at 05:44 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

How I know if my fuel cut-off switch is working properly?

225

Hi,I just got my vert last year it is ',71I read the clymer manual that i got from the PO,I do not recall this device,then you may be right there is that type of function on the much newer cars to stop fuel pumping after a collision.Ok there is a bypass air cut off valve n the solex 34 PICT -3/ 34 PICT -4 that has a 12 v signal to open /close it .I think you can simulate the signal with a 12 volt source and hear it click.Do not take my word for it ,one of the more knowledgeable owners might give a more experienced piece of advice.

2,705

As far as iam aware the only fuel cut device on a '71 beetle is the ignition switch!!! I may be wrong as far as U.S models are concerned but over here in U.K they were not fitted to cars until the late '80s or early '90s.

225

My '71 VW in canada has 1 wire to the carb,that signal can prevent starting as it activates aplunger in the fuel path if i am correct.Just got into air cooled lately,you guys might know who know the car.But i dont think that it is same as a fuel cut-off for safety on impact which are resettable to the owner as in a ford.