How to replaco the starter on 1998 beetle

40

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Beetle 2 Dr STD Hatchback

Yesterday morning my car started a little rough, meaning it seemed to struggle a bit as
it started. When I left work it started fine, I stopped at a store on the way home and it
started fine leaving there. Today I get out to start it and it sounds like it tries to turn
over twice then I get clicking. Even when trying to jump it I get the same thing.

Pretty confident it's the starter but I am by no means a car guy. I would like instuctions
on how to remove my starter and a diagram to show starter location similar to a
serpentine belt diagram if anyone has one.

Can't really afford to tow it and pay a mechanic so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

yes, well this may not be the starter, but getting the right amount of cranking amps to it...the battery should be newer than five~...else get a new one...the black cable what connects to the battery also connects to the chassis/ground...this connection needs to be mended with a coarse wirebrush... and the 1/0 cable connection to the engine block as well...that way you can pull the needed 300 CCA needed for a reliable start~

40

Thanks, I'll clean the terminals off and see if that helps.

yes the other end of the cable---not necessarily the clamps side, the horrible corroded connection to frame/chassis~...that awful one...wirebrush it clean...take of the bolt if you can---get it metal to metal...that's the key~

40

No dice now all it does is click.

...okay maybe it is the starter motor....juice it with 12 volts then take it off and bench test it (kind of a pain on beetles) if it's a no-go~....still maintain your ground is iffy...not helping...the negative ground of the battery isn't being handed to the starter with sufficient amperage~....assuming a NEW healthy battery is at play here~

40

Pulling starter now, it's a lovely roll in the park on a new beetle. lol I'll let you know. Thanks for the help!

they'll put in on their load tester over at most parts stores...NAPA will test the starter...no prob...anxious to sell you another~

40

LOL, murphy is a bastard. Starter tested fine, after all that it ended up being the battery. Anyone want to buy a 1998 beetle? lol

think I may have asked about this in the first hoo-ha...clearly the judge has problems communicating~

To check to see if it is the battery or starter, I completely disconnected the (+) terminal of the battery in the 98 bug. Then jumped it to my VW Routan with the motor running so that it was connected as if the running Routan was the battery. Starter clicked but would not turn over. Don't really need this bug running, so may replace the starter motor first and get new battery if bug starts with the running Routan as the battery.