Where is the fuel pump relay on my '86 base model dodge daytona?

15

Asked by Aug 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM about the 1986 Dodge Daytona

My buddy and I believe that the relay switch on my '86 dodge daytona is bad, but we cant find it.  I also cannot find a chilton manual specific enough to address this question.  Any help?

20

I've been researching the same thing, have an 87 Daytona that cranks and fires but wont idle and believe its because something is shutting down the fuel pump, or telling the computer to shut it down. If i'm correct there are 2 computers on that year vehicle. A Power module ( on the driver side fender thats built into the air intake ), and a logic module ( located on the right passenger side kick panel ). The fuel system is controlled by the logic module, meaning that the fuel pump relay is actually built into the computer that controls the EFI. I don't know what the exact problem is, but you could also look at changing the Hall Effect Pickup ( HEP ) thats on the dirstributor. This sends a signal to the computer that the motor is turning. If its not getting that signal the computer could be shutting down your relay on you. a HEP will run you about 40 bucks and take 15 minutes to change, and is probably a good spot to look before you go drop 90-100 on a new logic module. Also, checking the diagnostic codes on the dash ( by keying on 3 times ) wouldn't be a bad spot to start either.

15

Thanks for your reply! I found out that there is no actual "relay." We checked the logic module and everyrelay we found. Turns out it is actually run directly from the power module. After testing all the electronics, we found out that the fuel pump itself was actually bad...very bad. We will try this and see if it works tomorrow. I will keep you updated.

95

If your daytona has a fuel pump relay it would be in a rectangle black box underneaththe hood on the drivers side with fuses they only cost about 10 dollors to replace. I hope this will help you out.

BAD FUEL PUMP,NO FP RELAY.

60

i have the same prob on my 86 it will turn over slow but wont start i put a new f pump on it and starter and spark plugs ,batt,and destripater cap someone hhhheeeellllpppp

10

My 88 daytona 2.2L won't turn over I've replaced the fuel pump but it doesn't want to start I'm stressed because I can't figure it out does anyone know what else it could be?

10

Where is the fuel pump in 88 daytona.. I have one to and cant find it..

10

My 88 Daytona, will start Id way up then shut off. It has new plugs, fuel pump and filter. If I stay on the gas it will stay running for a little. Help ME!!