89 Dodge Daytona engine stumbles/loses power when A/C turned on

Asked by May 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM about the Dodge Daytona

Just had the air fixed in my 89 Daytona, and now the engine is losing power and
stumbling when I drive with the air on. When I turn the air off the problem goes away. It
never had an issue before I had the air fixed. The system is all original, and they replaced
the expansion valve in the dash and added new R-12. Any reason why the engine
shouldn't be able to handle the repair?

3,470

AC is a load on your engine. If the engine cant handle it or doesnt compensate for it, issues like this will happen. First, check basic stuff like plugs, wires, etc for wear. If you dont find an issue there, check your IAC. The IAC has to allow more air into the engine to compensate for the load. It is commanded on by your AC system when its turned on. So you need to know that the AC system is giving the command to up the idle, and that the IAC is performing that task. Its likely something basic. I just had this issue in my caravan. The PCV valve blew the spark plug tube seals, leaking oil into the plug bosses. It really didnt create an issue unless the AC was on. The added load made the engine shudder at idle and really dog under acceleration.

So what should i change the pcv or what?