So my car runs good but I have white milky stuff under the oil cap an under on the intake manifold cover an recently my oil light has been coming on when I drive my car for more the 30min only at idle though an a couple of times this buzzer came on but went right off an my oil dipstick looks fine...here is a pic of what my finger looked liked after I scraped the oil cap. condensation or blown head gasket?

175

Asked by Mar 06, 2013 at 09:34 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet

93,825

I would vote for condensation if you haven't been taking long trips.

175

I don't take long trips ever I only drive for about 40 min at the most, I really hope its condensation.

Are you loosing coolant?

93,825

Get the oil changed to clear it out.

175

So I changed my oil like a month ago an the oil looked fine an then I just changed it again because this guy put a hole can of sea foam in my oil so I changed the oil again but not the oil filter because it was hard to get off I have no men in my life to help so I do it all my self. An I use water not coolant because someone said if I do have a blown head gasket it would be worst to have coolant leak in my oil then water, an yes the water will get low every 5 days but not really low. I was thinking the water evaporates from the head of the motor an that's why it gets low. I always try an think positive. I appreciate anyone with an answer for me thanks.

obviously, there's water gettin' into the oil circuit. You can't run it with water for very long. It will begin to corrode things like your t-stat, spring, the raw cast parts (inside passages in the head) and will clobber it up...so you're ducking the head job...I don't blame you, but if you don't mind committing a weekend, clear out some workspace, get a cardboard soda case to store you sorted headbolts into, and break out the good tools and have at it!

175

Ya I agree I need to just do the head gasket but its just hard to do myself an its crazy because a lot of people are saying if the dipstick looks good an when I changed the oil an that looks good witch it did then it might not be the head gasket so im goin crazy I think I will just go out an pay for a compression test to hopefully pin point the problem. thanks for your help.

good idear~

2,775

Before taking the head apart check the oil cooler maybe it is broken inside, I have seen many heads taken apart because of this.

175

The oil cooler? where is that located in the car?

...well this is not a racecar, like a lamroghini so it hasn't got one for the engine, but you do have a transmission oil cooler attached to the radiator, sometimes sharing the same housing.

2,775

I'm sorry it is not a race car but it does have an oil cooler for the engine. It is located on top of the oil filter. It is the metal box on top of it. If it is an auto transmission it has one for the tranny also. It could be any of those two. You will need to check them both.

110

The oil cooler is located on top of the oil filter. Remove the oil filter. On the shaft that the filter screws on to is a nut. Remove the nut. The oil cooler will then be free on the shaft. Remove the two coolant hoses that are connected to the cooler and remove the cooler.

10

If you're car is running good and you are taking short trips the engine oil isn't getting hot enough to burn the condensation change your oil and drain the water refill it with your radiator with coolant and keep driving

Hi Lanay, the same thing is happening with my Toyota Tacoma. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am pretty stressed, please let me know as soon as you can. Thank you!!!

My last car was Renault Clio and I always had this creamy stuff on my oil filler cap. Now I have got another Clio and this is just the same,with a small bit on the dipstick.I think it is because I only drive 20 miles a day,and my speed is only between 30-40.

20

If you have a cat dealership near you you can get it analyzed. That is your best bet. Other places may be in your area to analyze it. Also do mot run straight water in your system it can cause havoc over time. You need some coolant inhibitors to prevent corrossion. Go with an pat coolant. You can also check for combustion gas in your system.

10

how to spell AND = AND