So a lot of people have said my car has condensation on top of the oil cap from not driving my car for more then 30min at a time an my dipstick looks fine an I have changed the oil an hat looks good to but now I have found this white stuff in this thing that in part of the air intake can someone tell me what they think this is please?

165

Asked by Mar 30, 2013 at 06:32 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet

89,985

That's an emulsion of oil and water. It's normal in a car that's driven on short trips in cold weather. It's the same as the stuff that was on your oil cap. With warmer weather, the engine will get hotter sooner and the water will boil off. You could take the car on a longer trip once a week to heat it up and prevent it.

2,980

Too cool of engine operating temp. Could be stuck open thermostat.

56,775

In addition to the above posts, check your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. A plugged PCV valve or hoses can cause this as well. Also inspect your PCV hoses for damage and proper routing. HTH. -Jim

165

Thanks for you answers...I was wondering where an how to check if the PCV are plugged or damaged..? thanks

56,775

There should be an emissions decal in the engine compartment. Usually located just in front of the radiator or on the underside of the hood. This will have a vacuum hose routing diagram. Use the diagram to locate your PCV valve & hoses. For future reference the PCV valve should be replaced every 12 months or 12,000 miles. Whichever comes first. HTH. -Jim

2,980

12 months or 12000 miles that's crazy

56,775

Read your maintenance schedule.