2005 Jaguar S-Type is making a whining noise

Asked by Apr 19, 2016 at 08:35 AM about the 2005 Jaguar S-TYPE

My 2005 Jaguar has been making a whining noise and now the cruise control
will just turn off or not be available at random times. Does this sound like the
transmission fluid pump? Someone who doesn't really know Jaguars said that
is what he thought? Does it really require a Jaguar mechanic to fix?

10,635

The jaguar type S is a ford platform dew98, a competent tech can service it, you don't need the Jaguar dealer. 1. Read the codes from DLC connector / OBDII port or have them read. Its likely a reluctor ring which reads wheel speed they crack and or corrode and can cause what your describing interment cruise issues or ABS light. Is the transmission shifting correctly? several possibles for whining

Thank you for your reply! The mechanic replaced a tensioner for a belt because he thought that was the noise but I guess that was a different noise. He also said I needed repair on something for the air conditioning, but that would not be this. The whining has been there for a while and becoming worse and the problem with cruise control shutting off is fairly new. There is no difference in sound between using the manual shifting side or just the auto side, but the sound does get louder right before shifting gears. The person who told me that it was probably the automatic transmission fluid pump was another mechanic, but he does not specialize in Jags either. I can't afford to go to a dealership, so if my regular mechanic can do it, that would be great, I just don't want him to keep fixing the wrong things :-) I really appreciate your help!

10,635

Valerie, how many miles are on your '05 ? The first question is the whining present with the car in park...just idling? if so, engine accessories rotational parts are suspect at 80,000 miles, power steering pump, AC pump, alternator, *serpentine belts, *belt tensioner, (*yes I noted the components replaced) and Idler pulleys...have them closely inspected before dismissing as OK...I suggest checking for codes using the OEM correct scan tool IDS-VCM yes, it detects the entire vehicles DTC's which include transmission CODES.... S type Jaguar's have known issues with the automatic transmission failure is not uncommon.

There are 72,840 miles so all that you are saying is probably correct and I may be looking at a lot of repairs it seems. Is that considered the old "tune up" or much more complicated? I love this car! The mechanic who sold it to me said it is a 12 cylinder engine and I live zipping around and through. Are all 4.2 models like that? The scan tool is probably only at a dealership mechanic shop, correct? Perhaps I should schedule a complete diagnostic. Would you recommend that and would they be willing to Charge me for that and give me the printout even if I don't commit to having repairs done there? Once again. thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Single women need to do their homework so they don't get taken for a ride ( in their own car!) and I am very appreciative. I have been learning a lot about cars lately!

10,635

The Jaguar 4.2 is a V8-8 cylinders! These repairs are standard service at this mileage. I don't consider anyone who services a vehicle a "specialist" or advanced if they are not using Factory engineered OEM scan tools. I should say anyone can obtain them if they desire. "I love this car" so yes locate a facility that has the tool or even the Jag dealer, let them know you want a complete diagnostic,PCM codes BCM codes ABS, SRS, all embedded modules scanned and request it be saved to USB flash drive for your personal computer, then you have a data stream of all events captured in time for reference and a baseline for your 4.2 S-type, which can be viewed and printed. IF they can not provide this as a service the center is to primitive find another. Here in Ann Arbor, MI this type diagnostic service fee is approx $150 without obligation of any repair.