My 89 Honda Civic wouldn't stay running. Shuts off sometimes while driving.

20

Asked by Aug 06, 2013 at 06:16 PM about the 1989 Honda Civic

My 89 Honda Civic shuts off sometimes while I"m driving.  Fuel injector cleaner helped some.  But now the key won't turn all the way in the ignition.  I was told to try wd40 and the ignition fuse I have in it is rigged.  So may need to be changed.  But didn't think that would affect my key not turning fully to start it.  Any ideas?

the ignition module might not be getting sufficient ground...clean the end of the 1/0 battery cable as it bolts to the chassis with a wirebrush...as you suggest an ignition switch could be at fault too~

the switch~

20

Thank you. Will take a look

attack the ground lug with a wirebrush~...please~

20,845

the cleaner did nothing in the fuel , move on, the switch is failing on column breaking contact!

20

Okay so can't even figure this out until I figure out how to disable the antitheft lock system on this vehicle. I am thinking that is the reason I can't get the key to turn in the inition. Any suggestions to unlocking the antitheft system? 89 honda civic

275

listen to the judge I had a 88 hatch with a bad coil and just bought a new distributor.

okay fuse 2 (integrated control unit) if blown may be the joker here~

look at fuses 1 and 2, this fuse description chart isn't from 89....look at your fuse panel for anything that may pertain to the ignition switch problem you're having~

this seems a little closer~

...still fuse 2 "starter signal" is gonna be the one~

ah....the "Main relay" supporting ignition control may be the ticket~

was actually looking for an "ingition relay" like the kind that Jeeps have, and came up with this ignition module~