I've had a slow oil leak that is coming from the main seal. I was told that no repairs are possible

25

Asked by Jun 17, 2008 at 06:29 PM about the 1986 Ford Thunderbird

I was told by my mechanic that my T'bird's slow leak is coming from the main seal and that it was a design flaw.
Nobody will repair it due to the fact that it could happen at any time after the repair and it can't be guarenteed.
What do I do now as I love the car but it's leaking in the garage I rent and the owners are complaining, and they wont let me leave a pan under it?
Thanks

7,555

Umm...curious why won't they let you put a pan under it? Other than that, there are numerous products out there to help condition seals and/or reduce oil leakage. You may want to try one such product before you go looking into costly repairs.

10

I would fix it anyway even though theres no guarenteed. Or you can try some of those additives for seal leaks Lucas is not bad. You can also go to a thicker wieght oil. These arent the best solutions compared to repaires but its something.

25

They won't let me put a pan under it because it's garaged in my buildings parking area and I was told they don't want to have a "hazard" that someone could fall over on the garage floor. I think they're just snobs who don't want anything but new cars in the spots. When I'm parked there people don't walk under the car to slip on the oil, and since I pay them $60.00 a month anyway, they shouldn't be walking through the space anyway, but you can't reason with these people. I looked up an oil drip tray on the web yesterday and was going to buy it but the shipping was over $100.00 for a 13.00 tray, didn't make sense.

25

What would be the thicker oil I could use? I would have it fixed anyway but nobody will do it, I have to see if I can find some private mechanic to give it a shot. Thanks

10

You can try a 0-40 or a 15-40 these oils are for diesel engines primarily. The 0-40 is a bit more expensive but easier on the engine. I would try the additives first ther are some good seal replinish additives you can find at Napa, Auto value or Canadian tire. Just look for the ones that say they replenish seals. If you go to the thicker oil be sure to do oil changes more often than you normaly would.