How do I bleed the brakes

Asked by May 06, 2015 at 09:26 PM about the 1964 Ford Thunderbird

7,840

Best recommendation is a complete inspection before diagnosis and repair. Brake shops do not charge alot, but rather find the problem first. Air cannot enter without a leak, or recent repair causing it.

7,840

Tandem systems were mandated for american iron for 67. That means yours has just one apply piston. You must find the cause to call it "safe" to drive.

4,925

Have someone pump the brake pedal,make sure master cylinder is full of brake fluid,start on the back brake,s,pump them up about 3 to 4 time,s and hold them,then you loosen the fitting on the brake caliper,you will see fluid and air come out,do this at least twice on each wheel front and back,in between each one check the master cylinder and make sure fluid is full. T_S_T told you the right way. Just be sure that the Master Cylinder does not run out of fluid. Also, get a tube that fits over the bleeder valves and let it drain into an old jar so you can see air bubbles.

7,840

great, except you skipped the diagnosis.....where is the leak? or, where was the cause of air entering? If this car was at your shop and went out to have failure? guess what?

4,925

He didn't ask how to find out what was wrong... he wanted to know how to bleed the brakes. Diagnosis was already done. Maybe he replaced the M/Cyl or shoes or whatever. Now he wanted to bleed them.

7,840

Yeah, I know, gotta give caution a mention everytime. He has to ask , so he doesnt know. Give him a horse, a rope and a tree, come back in 20 minutes. The tree is pregnant. I just always say the time is well spent if the cause is known. Before 67, loss of pressure has no safety backup, and the car is too old to trust the parking brake.