why wont the transmission on my 63 tbird shift up to top gear

10

Asked by Oct 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

put a fully refurbished holley carby recently. first drive out noticed after 30 mins or so car would not shift up to top gear on the ford-o-matic,390fe, took back to mechanic he told me he lubricated the kick down rod and away I went straight home, no charge by mechanic. 4 weeks later, yesterday, I  took car out for a run. all fine then about 30-40 mins later same result. car would not shift to top gear again. slowly made it home in second gear. any ideas or info greatly appreciated. I do remember the mechanic saying if I have any more trouble to take it to carburettor specialist. is it carb related?

118,625

Maybe not exactly but the kickdown rod is attached to the carb, possibly there is something worn out on the throttle shaft but I am only guessing without a picture with the air cleaner assembly removed. HTH

10

Thanks Mark trying to load a photo up now.

10

Another

118,625

Well that part looks good and solid, so now you need to check the connection from there to the arm on the trans, see if it is still hooked up and moves freely.

10

One more.

10

Will do Mark. Baby sitting my 2 year old at the moment.Thanks for the quick response.

118,625

http://ford6v.com/images/65-66tbirdaccellink%5B1%5D.jpg. I couldn't find an exact pic but this should help, it is the long rod on the lower left of the pic. HTH

6,545

If you are driving and it won't upshift, try lifting your foot off the gas for a second and see if it shifts then. If it does, then you have a problem with the modulator valve or a vacuum line is bad or both.