I have a 86 K-5 3 speed.When i give it gas to move i have to find a certain spot on the gas pedal to go .

Asked by Jan 19, 2007 at 02:20 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet Blazer

If i give it to much gas it bogs down wont move if i give it to little gas she bucks.It has new filter and pump.

50

IT DEFINITLY HAS A FUEL PROBLEM. IF ITS CARBURATED, GET A REBUILD KIT AND READ DIRECTIONS CLOSLY. IF ITS FUEL INJECTED HAVE THE COMPUTER SCANNED

Best Answer
55

i've never heard of an 86 blazer with fuel injection... i have an 86 k-5 with a three speed as well, 5.7L V8 and 4x4. I've noticed the same problem, but i havn't noticed a spot in the pedal to keep it moving without bogging/stalling out. i have noticed it only does it when its cold/ hasn't been started in over 5 hours(ish). I've already tried changing the fuel filter and air cleaner, as well as put in a new distributor/ignition wires/spark plugs. the battery is also new. I've noticed some improvment in the time it takes to "warm up" as well as the overall performance, but am still having the same problem in the cold mornings before work. my next steps are going to be changing the valve cover gaskets (one is leaking) and adjust (replace?) the timing chain. I'll let you know if this helps. any ideas anyone else might have would be very helpful!

55

oh yes and my carb (rochester quadrajet) has been rebuilt with the engine just before i bought the truck 5 years ago... but it hass been sitting for a while so a cleaning might be in order

1,175

likely needs a carb cleaning/ tuneup. if your not really familiar with rochesters, its best to take it to someone who knows a lot about them. a professionally set up carburetor will make a world of difference in power and economy, plus it should remove all hesitation from the engine.

105

Sounds like a bad egr but did 86 have an egr