Brakes freeze up

335

Asked by Jan 11, 2009 at 07:46 PM about the 2000 Toyota Tundra

Every once in a while (especially when it is cooler out) the brakes are frozen when I start up the car and put it in drive.  Does anyone else have this problem?

235

When you say it's frozen do you mean put in gear won't move?? Or pedal is stuck?? Push brakes and nothing happens?? Expain??

335

Yes, when the car is put in gear and the gas is moderately applied, nothing happens. In order to break up the freeze I have to rev up the engine. Going in reverse tends to free up the breaks with less power applied.

30

I just bought a 2008 tundra..drove for 30 minutes in light 8" powder snow with a fair amount of light brake action down a mountain for 15 of those 30 minutes. Parked. 7 Hours later at 6AM I tried to back out of driveway and the vehicle felt stuck..like a brake was applied (it wasn't); suddenly with a thunk the wheels began to move as I applied more gas. Now backing slowly down my driveway I applied brakes again (going 2-3 MPH) about 6 feet from a rock wall..no brakes, no skid, felt like pushing a power brake with no brake fluid..bam into wall. After driving away I applied brakes lightly as I drove and no response for about 50-60 ft. then fine...almost as if they were wet or frozen with a sheen of ice..has anyone ever heard of such a thing with the tundra? Is it possible the snow melted on the hubs (it was 8 inches and fluffy) and then froze (temps didn't get above 10 degrees)? Thanks for any info. Had mechanics check..nothing...removed wheels and checked hubs and test drove...nothing...??

335

Dude, that sounds just like what I was trying to describe. Only difference is I've never had the follow-on lack of braking ability. It just seems to stick, most notably when trying to go forward. For whatever reason, going backward doesn't seem to affect them as much. Frustrating to think more people aren't speaking up about this.

40

2002 Tundra develped the "hesitation" going forward problem 6+ months ago. No problem going backwards. Cooler, wet weather seems to be related. Had truck in shop (2 separate dealerships) and spent several hundred $$ to no avail. This syndrom leaves Toyota trained technicians scratching their heads. Problem is sporadic. Any advise is appreciated.

40

Additionally, after the truck breaks the "hold" and begins forward movement under 1 mph, when the brakes are lightly applied, a horrific repeated grab and release action occurs - I think from the brakes. Technician says I don't back up enough!

I have a Toyota tacoma manual transmission 2010 the praking brake freezes just like you say. In the manual page 210 it tells me to block the tires instead of using the brake in the winter months. 25000.00 truck and this is the best Toyota can do. They will not fix it because it's not broke however it may freeze up in the winter. RG

30

you need to go have your brake fluid flushed out you have to much condinsation in the brake fluid, witch will freez

40

I just started noticing the same issue with my 2008 tundra. I always apply the parking brake when I park. After taking the parking brake off then shifting into drive I noticed my truck did not move even when the bakes weren't applied. I pushed on the gas and it was as if my truck was sort of stuck. I slowly started moving as I applied more gas then there was a grab and release action as described above. It went away about 5 seconds later as I got up to higher speed. I'm thinking it's my e-brake sticking but not really sure.

40

I forgot to mention that the temp outside was about 75 degrees. Coastal summer California weather.

2004 Toyota Tacoma- When I start my truck in the morning, and put it in drive, the truck wont move. I then press and hold the brake to put it in reverse. The truck moves! Then I push and hold the brakes and shift it into drive. Again, no movement! If I give it gas, up to 2,000 rpm, it makes a clunk sound and begins moving. I have ceramic front brakes (5 years old, good condition still) and just replaced the master cylinder. What else could be the problem?

10

I was getting off the freeway and had to brake harder than usual. And my left rear brake locked up and skid. I pulled off to the side. I too felt a clunk when I applied the brakes. I pulled the wheels off right now. The shoes are tight against the drum. No signs of and fluid leaking. Pedal goes almost to the floor but does stop the truck. It's like I lost the brake booster. Pedal is not hard though.

Check parking brake pivot. Possibly rusted stuck. Single cable from parking brake pedal the. Meets with a splitter that turns it into two cables. 07+ tundra is located drivers side frame rail near the gas tank