Porsche 1999 Boxster can not open hood

20

Asked by May 18, 2015 at 06:30 PM about the 1999 Porsche Boxster

I took the battery out of the Porsche over the winter so I could charge it periodically over the winter (Syracuse NY need I say more!) I have done this for the past two winters and had no problem (miraculously it appears) opening the hood to put the battery back in. Unfortunately my luck ran out and I can not open the hood this year. I have researched all the forums. I tried the fuse trick, I got power to the lights, windows and radio but could not open the hood. I bought a cigarette lighter charger and hooked that up. Again lights came on, windows opened and radio on but still could not release the hood. One page said to keep drivers door closed while doing this, no luck. I tried to locate the release cable but can not feel it in the passengers side (nor drivers) wheel hub. One site talks about removing the headlight to get to this cable, I have not attempted that yet as it seems a bit drastic. I ruled out crow bar. Maybe if I stand on my head? Any other suggestion short of towing it to Porsche dealership? It is a love (when car is working properly) hate (costly repairs) relationship!

7,665

This is why i use battery tenders on my cars. I've read that there is cable access in the right wheel well but the wheel must be removed to get to it.

20

I now know to keep the trunck open if I remove the baterry but this does not resolve my current problem.

1,810

Remove the right side inner plastic fender. Under the headlight you'll find a cable that will release the hood. Good luck!

25,365

It should look like this, but you will need to remove the front drivers wheel and inner splash gaurd.

20

Luckily per other online forums we were able to locate the release in the fuse panel, we gently pulled on it at first, heard a clink like it should be the correct cable to unlock the hood, pulled harder and the hood popped. Thanks for your help, I will try to take a picture to illistrate this.

20

Can't find the cable. A photo would be greatly appreciated