2000 pontiac sunfire wont start. It was fine, I turned off for a couple minutes waiting for my daughter then, l tried to start and nothing happened, there is gas, new battery, new starter. Do you have any suggestins, please?

Asked by Apr 15, 2012 at 03:06 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire

97,115

I would start by checking your battery for voltage. It might have a open cell. I had that happen to a motorcycle once. Battery would read 12 volts until the key was turned on, then it would drop to zero. Couldn't even push start it.

Thank you for answering, I changed battery to new fully charged one and it still didn't start. Can you think of anything else?

12,805

I would check connections on battery and connections on starter since these have recently been worked on.

1,295

do you even get lights on the dash or anything happen when you try?

Yes, lights and stereo all work. There is anti-theft system that you need to swipe before starting or else nothing happens. I swipe and hear sound acknowledging anti-theft system is working but then put key in and turn to start and no sound or anything happens.

1,295

With a new starter already installed you should check for power at the starter. Could be an ignition switch or a starter relay. You can change the relay with another one in the relay box just to see if it works before you buy one.

ok thanks, where would I find ignition switch?

1,295

Change that relay first. The ignition switch location should be on steering column but not sure exact location.

1,295

Any luck?

10

check the fuel pump/ fuel injector. my 95 sunfire had the same problem as yours, and changed it. it fired right up.