05 Pontiac sunfire, wont start

65

Asked by Nov 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire Base

I have a 2005 Pontiac sunfire manual transmission that will not start.   I drove the car just fine from 2:15- about 3: pm.  It did not give me any trouble.  When I pulled out of a drive through and stopped at a stop sign with now warning, it suddenly started to shimmy like it was trying to die and then stalled.  I tried to restart the car and it turned over but when I went to hit the accelerator it stalled out again.  Eventually it started clicking (like the battery was dead) and wouldn't turn over.  I have had 2 people try to jump my car and it still wont crank over. I have 3/4 tank of gas so its not out of gas.  I have heard it was everything from crankshaft sensor to clogged fuel filter to fuel pump.   How can I test it to see what it is (on my own, not at a shop)  I have VERY limited income and am a single mom.  I need to try and fix my car on my own and soon.  I cannot afford to have it towed somewhere and have it tested by a mechanic.  Any help would be very appreciated!  Thank you  

1,000

Well Mom, if you were close I would try to help. But there are several items to check. Your car has OHC, meaning over head camshaft, and if your belts are in bad condition, it could have jumped time. Next, yes it could be fuel filter, and this is a high pressure system. Next, if you buy your gas at a discount station, or the fuel truck was there filling the tanks while you were fueling, you have water in your tank. None of these are roadside repairs wothout special tools! Wish I had better news for you!!!