is the overdrive automatically on when i start the car? It seems the o/d off light only goes off if I push the o'd button on the gearshift

Asked by Feb 02, 2007 at 12:12 PM about the 1999 Mazda 626

i bought a used 1999 mazda 626 and had the tranny rebuilt. i was advised to be very careful about not driving on street (not highway) conditons with the overdrive on. it appearsthat the overdrive is automatically on when i start the car, no matter that i had it off when i turned the car off. can you help? is this a design defect or does my car need a repair?
thank you

33,175

Ippy, overdrive should not be engaged when you first get in the car. It's not something that you should be engaged unless the driver engages it manually. As far as knowing if it is a design flaw I would recommend going to a Mazda dealer and asking the service department.

Thank you very much for your help. I agree that the o/d should old come on if I push the button/

10

I know this is an old question but i have recently purchased a 2002 and the overdrive override light is never on when starting it and only comes on when I push the button. Are you saying it should be the opposite?