I have a 1991 Grand Wagoneer I just purchased and I'm having a loose steering column problem at the tilt. what can I do to repair everything still works in the calm before anything gets worse is there something that can be done

Asked by Mar 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM about the 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Is Is there a rebuild kit for in the colony
area right after a coupler

20,605

you would have to ask a few jobbers,a few as ones not enough,take it apart see whats worn simple bushings or bolts may be needed or a section from a boneyard

98,165

Check in at www.jeepforum.com - other owners might know what it takes to tighten it up.

75

Congrats on your new waggie! I'm in Petaluma, CA in the north bay, and have a '91 as well, bought her in Santa Cruz almost a year ago. I have had some issues, but keep on fixing her! My steering column is a bit loose too, but doesn't bother me enough yet to pay someone to fix it.

2,985

ok, that is a GM steering column in the grand wagoneers, (even notice your keys look exactly the same as chevy and GMC) and they had a big problem with the bolts coming loose in the bottom for the tilt section. So, good news is, it is basically free, no parts needed, bad news, you have to disassemble much of the column to get to those bolts. And yes you want to get that fixed ASAP because if you dont, the column will oblong the bolt holes down or busting off the bolt which you can get out, in either case junking the entire column. SO get it fixed and dont procrastinate.