Slow Gas Leak - is this dangerous? How much to repair ?

310

Asked by Apr 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM about the 1999 Hyundai Sonata

Hi I have a 1999 Hyundai Sonata and I am leaking gas underneath my car .. it's a slow drip but I think it's getting worse there seems to be an even slower 2nd spot .. If my car sits for a few hours there is a noticable small puddle.  If been driving it a month now .. is this dangerous ??  Does anyone know how much this problem might cost? I'd like to be a bit more knowledgeable before I went into the mechanics

101,505

Yes. Extremely dangerous. Climb under car and try to locate leak. Could be something as simple as a loose fitting or a pin hole in fuel tank due to hitting something in road way. Use extreme caution with this leak. Specially if it near your exhaust system. I would not drive it till leak is located and repaired due to the fire hazard.

310

Hi there, yikes! I've been driving it about a month like this... The leak is nearer the front of the car..maybe a bit forward from the drivers seat underneath.

77,965

Any fuel leak is dangerous, as it is a 99 I would check on getting a good used fuel tank and replace the fuel pump in the tank before installing it, or if your really tight on budget you can transfer your working fuel pump sender assembly out of your leaking tank into the good used tank. Hope this helps.

310

Does anyone have a guestimate on how much something like this costs to fix?

101,505

Some cars have fuel filters mounted in that area. not sure if yours does or not. That is typically the area on a car where two fuel lines join together. One going to tank and other routing to injectors. Could be loose fittings. Might be able to see leak from under hood right along the fire wall of engine compartment. Extremely important to find the leak.

310

I've looked up the filter location and what I'm getting is that it is located in the fuel line in front of the tank... Would that not be towards the back of the car? Ugh I'm such a typicalgirl when it comes to cars. Thank you everyone for your help.

89,835

It's a fourteen year old car. It has steel fuel lines. The steel lines have rusted and fuel is seeping through the rust holes. I had the same thing with my Pontiac a few years back. In my case, it was a rear brake line and the fuel lines were just as bad. GM sells the lines and they are called a "bundle".

89,835

In my case, the rear drums where rusted on. They had to replace the drums and the rear brake wheel cylinders to bleed the new brake lines. My total bill was $800 for the new lines, rear brake drums, rear wheel cylinders and installation.

310

Ugh 800 dollars is not feesible.

101,505

Don't get to scared yet. Inspect fuel lines. Yours should look similar to the picture tenspeed listed. He is probably right about the leak tho. But yours may be much cheaper to fix.

20

How can you tell if you have a gas leak?? I just got this car and I had about half way between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank this morning once i got to work I had a quarter... Its only 14 miles I dont think I should be using that much gas at all even if it is older. I have an 08 sonata.