What can be the cause of the car jerking?

20

Asked by May 09, 2015 at 05:43 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Elantra

2 months ago my car stopped on the highway.  It had jerked a few times after an hour
and being stuck in traffic. Ever since then if I drive my car for over an hour and
especially if i get stuck in traffic then the jerking begins and it may slow down. After
the last issue of it breaking down and first being told it was the catalytic converter only
for them to say it was the "brain" of the car so they changed it but the car does the
same jerking after a certain period of time. I have brought the car to 2 other mechanics
and neither can visually see anything wrong with the car. I am told that I have to wait
until one of the lights come in.  that is frustrating as who wants to get stuck on the
highway at any given time? I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra.  I have read several posts
of people with the same issue and they stated a crank position sensor. Would a
mechanic be able to see an issue visually wrong with that? Does anyone have any
ideas of what could visibly be seen so that I don't have to wait until the car breaks
down especially if i have my children with me?  The car overall is in good condition. I
brought it to a Hyndai location and had a diagnostic testing done on it as well as a
point inspection. I would like an idea of what to ask them to look for if possible
especially since living in GA requires a lot of driving.

Thanks in advance.

58,555

This is hard to answer ,because there is no engine light on,but in my oppion,i think the tranny gets hot,and make,s it do this,this is something that hyuandai doe,s not want to admit,they should have put and extra tranny cooler on this car,this is the reason you read a lot about this,and no one has and answer.

20

When it first died they said it was the brain and so called fixed it. I pull.over when I think it is too hot and shut it off for up to 15 minutes. Frustrating when we have to ride until a light comes on.

705

input output sensor or mapping sensor had same problem i changed input output sensor and mapping sensor but before you change sensor check spark plug wires when put cover on i put the screw threw wire and fried mapping sensor no code came up, but it sounds like input output sensors mapping sensor does it before shutting down have to wait 30 minute to start it, or air flow monitor sensor but air flow monitor sensor code comes up O2 sensor code

705

just asking there is one more thing that can make car do it? does the car jerk and you can't get power when pushing gas but just jerks to it shuts down? or does it just jerks but stays running? or does it jerks then you stop and it just shuts down and will not start for a few minutes?

705

try one thing doesn't cost nothing in front of car the fuse box under the engine hood pull fuel pump fuse out bend pins a little to make fuse tighter in socket fuse gets hot well driving weakens socket and make bad connection to fuse bumps makes bad connection with fuel pump fuse this problem drove me nuts no engine light 1500 dollars just to find out a bad connection with fuel pump fuse

20

Thanks for the info William. The car will drive for about an hour fine unless I am stuck.in traffic for a longer period of time. It will jerk several times. When that happened a couple months ago after doing it a few times it finally stopped. When I brought it back to the car dealer because I had only had the car for 3 weeks, they first said it was the catalytic converter and then said it was the brain. They said it shouldn't jerk any more, hence I have the same problem. The engine light had come on at that time when I brought the car back to them so I don't understand why the issue wasn't fixed. I have to drive too much and will get stuck in traffic and don't want to worry about losing a job I am just starting tomorrow. I may try ur suggestion or maybe bring it to Auto Zone and ask.one of them to check.

705

sounds like mapping sensor but the car does the same think with bad connection i have two of these car and both had problems i have one that would melt the blower speed control switch the other had the jerking problem you are having and it was the mapping sensor and input output sensor the mapping sensor some times it will not turn engine light on there are only six sensors that make the car jerk two of the sensors will not turn engine light on and no code will show i know this car has a lot of problems the senors on the car are junk they break very easy and the car will not run right with one or two not working right i brought both car at the same time and one love being worked on the other like to go in till it started jerking found out it was a bad connection. if i could see and feel how it run i might know what it is. hope you find the problem. Thank you for writing back. just trying to help.

20

William, the car frigging broke down yesterday. The check engine light came on and it took AAA over an hour to arrive. Sucks that it was my first night starting a job and I was 20 minutes from the job. I wish I had known about these cars in advance. I just need it to last long enough for me to pay the Damn thing off or trade it in. I need something reliable and frustrated that I just got the Damn car in February. Paying way more than it's worth.

705

i owned two of these car one i put over 15,000 dollars in to it, the other car the money of repair i could have got two new cars they work good now i put new engines in both cars, i call this car a rich man's car you have to baby it or it will leave you high and dry on the side of the road the history on the car will scare you, i have learned all most everything how this car acts when problems are starting.

20

I don't want to have to put so much money in this car. I would rather have a newer car but the code was P1166 and the mechanic said it was the O2 sensor and something about doing an FI service to clean out some gunk that was in some filter. I can't describe the lingo but he fixed it today so the start of over $300 being spent. Smh

705

hope it works that's cheap fix if it works the car has two O2 sensors one up and one down if one goes the other will go soon after, the up stream will drive the car crazy the down stream will make it jerk and some times shut down engine when coming to a stop. glade you found the problem, i know you don't want to spend crazy money on a car, i don't want to scare you but this car is known to snap the timing belt at 60,000 to 75,000 miles both my cars snapped there timing belts around 64,000 miles. i would find newer car this car you need mad money to keep up with it, me i keep them because i put 2014 engines in the cars and 2014 car computers to loose all the problem i was having they run fine now cost me a lot of money to upgrade the car to fix all problem, i would sell it or trade it before you have more problem then you can deal with. good luck hope you can get new car before it cost more to fix it.

20

Thank you for making me aware of what can happen. I bought the car at a lil over 66000 miles and it's at 69000 but hopefully I will remember to ask them about that with the O2sensors. Hopefully they will b honest. I need to find a good but inexpensive mechanic as some of these folks overcharge just for the hell of it.

20

Mine is doing the same thing i thought it was the coil because when the light came on i went to auto zone and they said it was #3 so i changed that and its still jerking but the light isnt on when im at a stop i put it in park if not ot jerks really bad and qhen i take off it jerks as well

10

I've been having this problem ffor months my mec .don't know what's wrong the timing belt broke then I needed powerstering belt then a starter put new plug wires on it an it's still jerkng only after it gets hot I can cut it off a d red light an it goes again for a short distanced. Now d mech. say coil a friend say coil cadilic converter. I'm at my wits end plz if any one knows plz tell me

40

Hi my name is brittany i just bought a 2003 hyundi elanra the car takes off with a studder then when i slow down to 40 mp it starts like hesitating to go if anyone could help me find a ans to this would be great im a single mom and need a good runningcar

40

When i go to accelerate to 40 and pick up to go its like it not catching gears or something im hoping its not the engine

I have a 2007 Elantra that jerks as I'm driving. It is very irregular but the codes are P0700; P0750; P0755;P0760; P0743 all of which indicate transmission solenoid values and harness.