2001 Elantra Cylinder 4 misfire

15

Asked by May 01, 2014 at 11:31 AM about the 2001 Hyundai Elantra

I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra, its got 60,000 miles, and when accelerating from a dead
stop, it sputters and hesitates to get past first gear. It also jumps a little when
idling.......The engine light is on (but not flashing), so I took it to Autozone to have the
codes read.  The code came back as a cylinder 4 misfire. I replaced the spark plug just
to be safe, but no difference. I'm thinking it could still be the plug wire, the coil...am I
missing anything? Any ideas as to what to do?...The guy at Autozone seemed to think
it was something along those lines, and did not mention the possibility of a plugged
converter.

420

My daughter drives an 01 Elantra that started w the minor symptoms you describe. We had numerous conversations with various mechanics and found many suggested possible remedies on forums such as this. We replaced numerous different sensors, plugs, wires, etc., that had seemingly worked for some others, but to no avail. In fact the driveability continued to get worse until it misfired so badly under any kind of acceleration that the car barely made it up shallow inclines. Fortunately, we stumbled across a suggestion for a diagnosis that apparently is quite common for this car, but strangely is rarely mentioned in forums and the like. Often, the original intake manifold gasket dries out, becomes brittle, and deteriorates, resulting in vacuum leaks causing a 'stumble' & a misfire in the cylinder closest to the failure in the gasket. Long story short, I replaced the intake manifold gasket, as well as the valve cover gasket, (as a result in having to remove it to get to the intake manifold) and my problem was solved. The car runs perfectly with no misfire whatsoever. As soon as i saw the condition of the gasket when I removed the intake manifold, I knew that was my problem. There are several ways that you can check for a bad gasket, although I'm not certain that these tests were conclusive in my case, rather it seemed that the descriptions of the symptoms I found more closely matched mine after trying seemingly everything else. Google for an image of a bad intake manifold gasket & you will see what I mean. I performed this work outside during cold winter weather, and it was not as daunting a task as it appears at first glance. If you have done any of your own simple maintenance in the past and have basic mechanical skills and sockets, you can save yourself substantial money by performing the repair yourself. There are videos and step by step instructions available online, & I found the most difficult part to be fitting my hand in a couple of tight spots for bolt removal. Tight, but doable. I hope that this helps you as I am all to aware of the frustration in not being able diagnose a mysterious condition, or having other posters fail to report back when they finally find the solution to their problem. Good luck.

420

*all too aware

100

'02 Elantra w/ similar issues...EVAP system issue (1 clogged fuel valvue). All for the most part is well, and check engine light went off.

100

Had a similar issue w/ my '02 Elantra. Check Engine light had been on for a while, was told it had to do w/ oxygen sensors. Most recently the car would stall, idle at very low RPMs, and did not have much power and would sputter through turns. End result was only a clogged fuel valve, and that seems to have done the trick. A lot of these issues posted regarding older Hyundai Elantras seem to all relate back to the fuel source...good luck...

40

my 2002 is went like this but now it wont start we thought it was fuel pump but its still working but my car just sounds like the fuel just wont get through ? any ideas we thought maybe sensors

10

if replacing the o2 sensor make sure yo get he right one for your car I didn not know Hyundai made 4 ,5 & 6 prong fittings for the same year car ---- I ordered the wrong one ( an MTK 25606 and it was supposed to be a 23403 ) now the Whitney catalog is giving me a hard time about returning it,