'03 Sonata won't start

Asked by Sep 30, 2015 at 08:20 AM about the 2003 Hyundai Sonata

I bought my '03 Hyundai Sonata November 2013, I didn't have any issues
until very recently. At random time I noticed it would jump when driving but
it happened so far apart that I didn't think anything of it. Last night as I'm
driving home from work, my car completely quit on me. All the lights on the
dashboard came on and everything works except it won't turn over.  I took
the battery out and had it tested so it's good.

I'm currently trying to find a mobile mechanic that can come out today and
fix it but I am a woman and I have zero car knowledge so I'd like to at least
have an idea at what I'm looking at cost wise and problem wise.

Thanks for any help you can give.

46,775

First check your fuses.Typically when your car dies like that, it's due to a bad alternator. The battery will run it's course until completely discharged then the car will die. If the battery is good and it will not turn over, I would first clean all of your battery connections and grounds. I would check the wires from the battery to the starter as well. I would then put some jumper cables on it and try to start it as well. Sometimes just because a battery tests fine, it doesn't always mean that it's a good battery. I've been burned by a battery that tested good before. If you can't get it started by cleaning your grounds and cables, try it with a jump. If it starts with a jump, buy a new battery. If it will not start with a jump, I would then start checking your starter relay. When turning the key, you should at least hear a "click" when turning the ignition. If no clicking, I would suspect a bad starter relay. Your cost will be dependent on the time and parts it will take to fix. If something simple as a relay, you will be looking at his service call plus about $10 for the relay. If your check engine light is on, and he checks it with a scanner, it may be more depending on what part needs changing out.

The mechanic says it's my timing belt and crank shaft senor. Quoted me $1,007 to fix. I'm researching and asking around and I'm being told everything from that's fair to that's outrageous. I certainly wasn't expecting to drop this much cash.

46,775

Is he saying that your timing belt broke? Your car has what they call an interference engine. Which means once the timing belt breaks, there is a good possibility that the valves and push rods will get bent because they will smash into the pistons. What this means for you is that the $1000 dollar job will turn into a $2000 dollar job. What I suspect this guy will do is tear it all apart THEN tell you all the bad news. That way he's got you trapped into paying him. I would bring it to a good shop. Not sure if it's at a shop now, or this is that mobile mechanic guy. If it's the mobile guy, I would suspect he's going to pull a fast one.

It's a mechanic's shop. He originally quoted $698 for the timing belt replacement, but said once he was inside he noticed the crankshaft sensor had to be replaced as well. Hence the new total of $1,007. He said that's the final cost for everything.

46,775

That's still a good price. Just ask him upfront about it being an interference engine. Like I said, he may change his story if he finds out the valves are bent. I can't believe this guy didn't mention that to you. What size engine do you have? I'll double check again just to make sure.

Did you ever figure out your issue. Sounds similar to my recent issue. Towed it to a shop and am waiting to hear back whats wrong. Same exact situation as described above.